Question

Hello!

I am super nervous about my grad applications. I am applying to two online programs (WKU and Idaho state) and 6 others in my area-ish. I'm concerned about the waitlist situation. For example: If i get waitlisted to my number one choice and get accepted somewhere else, say I choose to hold my spot where I'm accepted and hear back from my first choice school very late (say end of April/early May), how do I go about switching? 

I'm worried that I'm not considered "competitive" as an applicant. 

GRE scores are 152V, 149Q, and 4.0W. My Cumulative GPA is 3.52 and in major is 3.67. I finished my undergrad in three years instead of four and worked full time!

Lastly, is anyone interested in any non-conventional forms of speech therapy? I would like to eventually learn about hippotheray (combines horses)? If so, is an interest in something "different" a good thing or bad thing when it comes to applying? 

Thanks for reading!

3 answers to this question

I am not SLP, so I have nothing to contribute with regards to the therapy, but I'll give my two cents when it comes to the timing. Being open and honest with the schools is a good way to buy your time. If you're applying for funded PhD programs, they cannot request an answer before April 15th. Additionally, if it's getting close to a deadline and you're still waiting to hear back from your first choice, it is entirely appropriate to email them and tell them "hey, you're my first choice but I got into another school as well, would you mind telling me where I stand?"

Hopefully someone else can come in and answer as well. You may consider posting on one of the SLP/CSD specific boards! :)

9 hours ago, AnxiousNerd said:

I am not SLP, so I have nothing to contribute with regards to the therapy, but I'll give my two cents when it comes to the timing. Being open and honest with the schools is a good way to buy your time. If you're applying for funded PhD programs, they cannot request an answer before April 15th. Additionally, if it's getting close to a deadline and you're still waiting to hear back from your first choice, it is entirely appropriate to email them and tell them "hey, you're my first choice but I got into another school as well, would you mind telling me where I stand?"

Hopefully someone else can come in and answer as well. You may consider posting on one of the SLP/CSD specific boards! :)

Thank you for the feedback! That was really helpful, I didn’t know if it was appropriate or not to ask if it came to that. I’m new to this site, how do I get to a specific board to post? 

48 minutes ago, TracyCollier said:

Thank you for the feedback! That was really helpful, I didn’t know if it was appropriate or not to ask if it came to that. I’m new to this site, how do I get to a specific board to post? 

No problem!

Here's all of the SLP posts: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/95-speech-language-pathology/

And just in case (I don't know what CSD is...), here's audiology: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/96-audiology/