For those who are bummed about Berkeley rejections...

Marge_Simpson

Just a note about grad life at Berkeley. It's striking to me how many students on Grad Cafe express their unwavering desire to attend Berkeley for doctoral work. And when so many don't get in, how disappointed they seem on the results page & forums. As someone who has spent the past two years in the department (was rejected for PhD in 2016, but offered a funded MA degree, which I accepted), I just want to say that, your rejection to study at this institution is not actually a loss on your end. Support from faculty is minimal, more students seem to be unhappy than happy with the program overall, funding is not good - especially when weighed with cost of living in the Bay Area, teaching jobs can mean you are responsible for 80+ students per semester (the school loves to have you as a laborer - not a researcher), average graduation time is 8+ years (again, due to lack of support, terrible funding and other factors). Once you get to know it, Berkeley is not the thriving, energetic place of your academic dreams! In fact, the hallways of the anthro department are stagnant & silent with every professor's office door shut. This is all coming from someone who is, on the whole, optimistic; I haven't had a bad time at Berkeley, but this is my honest reflection as I leave here for another program. I think we should all realize that the status of Berkeley's name does not reflect the actual experience of being a grad student here. So don't be hard on yourself for not getting in, and know that there are other programs out there that are less 'famous' but far more supportive. 

Your sentiments and experience are so invaluable! I believe that there must be some few like me who have found comfort in your words after being rejected (not taking it in the sour grapes kinda manner), and I really do appreciate your poster :D Honestly, I have read quite a bit from my personal teeny weeny research on the culture, climate and support of Berkeley towards graduate students, and well... can only sincerely hope for the best for those who have amazingly got in! Congrats to all, and thank you so much again for your insights!