Material Science 2008

phsu

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told myself when I started all this that I wouldn't pick favorites. It's looking like this means I'm going to be making a lot of trips...realistically, 5 or 6? Only a couple of places I'm looking at are close enough that I wouldn't have to fly out, too.

just in case anyone was still wondering:

i called up my friend at NU, he told me the visiting weekend is scheduled for march 8th and april 15th.

it's weird that there is one on april 15th... since they want your answers on the 15th... or maybe i copied the dates down wrong?

Anyone still waiting for Stanford? I have contacted one of faculty right there. They have already sent out the admission for the first round. If you have not received any, you have to wait until April to be evaluated as second round, which is the substitute of first round. Good luck for that!

Hey everyone,

I just heard from my safety school- Case Western Reserve University Ph.D., got accepted with full tuition and Grad Assistant placement. Got into Drexel University for BME Ph.D. too. My background is in biomed but I am applying to 1/2 MTLE and 1/2 BME with research in bioengineering/ biomaterials. Hope i hear from some other schools soon though! good luck!

Accepted: CWRU MTLE, Drexel U BME

Rejected: none

Interview: Dartmouth

Waiting to hear....: MIT, BU, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, RPI, CWRU BME, UMich, Columbia, Dartmouth

I was at the caltech visit this weekend. They told us something like 30 students were invited to visit; 20 this weekend, 10 more 2 weeks from now.

The school is small-1200 grads and 900 undergrads. So the campus pretty much looked deserted. I go to school at UIUC, so seeing a deserted campus was a little depressing.

The faculty research was very science oriented. They even emphasized the fact that this was a Materials Science program, not a Materials Science and Engineering program. Faculty meetings were mostly 1 on 1, except for Professor Atwaters (PV guy in applied physics and material science). All the students say they were meeting him in groups of 3. I guess I was lucky, and I got to meet with him 1 on 1, and for a pretty long time too (almost an hour).

In my opinion, Caltech will only appeal to a very narrow group students....

Anyway, they will probably give out offers in 2 weeks or so.

It is a bit anxious to hear so many people who have got the offers. Up until this moment, I haven't got any information for all the schools that I applied...sad...

For those who got acceptance or rejection via email from Cornell U and Carnegie Mellon U, are they actively sending you the email or you have checked the application results with them?

All the best to all,

Shahn

I cannot comment on Carnegie Mellon, but Cornell e-mailed me a couple of weeks ago with an acceptance. I didn't contact them inquiring about my admission's status. From what I understand, they have offered 20 offers of admission. I don't know about the possibility of a wait-list, but they definitely sent out mass rejections on Saturday morning of this past weekend based on posted results. I hope that helps, Shahn, good luck!

Phsu, thanks for news. That's what I suspected about Caltech. It's smallness wasn't what deterred me from applying there, but that's something I don't think I could handle for another ~5 years (I come from a small private school and I think it's definitely time to move to a much larger school). I'm surprised for a department of their size that they invited 30 people, but I guess it is an 'interview' weekend so some people will self-weed themselves out based on what you mentioned about their department's focus on the science and not engineering aspect. From what you said, it sounds like it isn't someplace you can see yourself going. I hope your other visits give you some better vibes.

Although I was a little effy about the environment, I wouldn't completely cross Caltech off my list of possible schools. I'm actually from the area, and a lot of my high school friends still live around there; my off campus social life wouldn't really be a problem. Making friends on-campus might be a little difficult.

But really, it all comes down on which professor I would be able to work with. Out of the entire faculty there are really only 2 which I'm interested in. BUTTTT I really shouldn't get ahead of myself; they have even made me an offer.

Shahn: hey, I am from Singapore too, what a coincidence!

Phsu: how did you manage to talk to a faculty for an hour? I am getting all nervous about the campus visits. Do the professors grill you regarding your background and knowledge?

I'll be heading to Stanford this weekend. There seems to be around 30 people invited so its a good sized group. Maybe I'll tell you guys more about the visit later this week like what phsu did.

Anyway, I am also very pessimistic about getting anymore offers, so it looks like its either Stanford or UIUC for me. That's 2/6 for me. Even Michigan did not get back to me.

I'm not sure if I'm fit to give advice on how to talk to professors, but I'll tell you how it went down at Caltech.

Most of the professors I talked to that day just talked about their research. Only one asked me about my undergraduate research (the one that almost took an hour). I think that one was more of an interview to see whether or not I know what the hell I'm talking about. Afterwards, I asked him some general questions about the research going on in his group. That was about it. You can always ask more general questions about the professor's field of research; for example, we talked a lot about the solar cell economy.