Material Science 2008

phsu

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I got a letter from Cornell MS&E department. At first I thought it was a paper rejection letter (I got rejected for the Ph.D. program via email on the 16th of Feb) because it said that "I was regrettably not admitted to the doctoral program" but read on and I have been accepted to their Masters of Engineering program due to my outstanding academic and research credentials (not outstanding enough for the Ph.D.!). I think I did not get into the Ph.D. program due to my background in BME instead of MSE and I did not apply to the M.Eng. program and do not know anything about it. The webpage is slightly vague too and just lists some course choices. I sort of feel like this is a consolation prize...with out funding. Does anyone know about this program? If I do it does anyone ever continue to their Ph.D.? I would not normally be interested in a M.Eng, but Cornell's MSE is such a great program I think it is worth at least looking into. I am more interested in doing research (hence wanting a PhD). I will call the school too but am looking for some peer opinions. Any thoughts?

YAY: Dartmouth PhD, Drexel U PhD, Case Western MSE PhD...Cornell M.Eng

BOOO!: UPenn PhD, Cornell PhD

????: RPI, UMich, Brown, BU, MIT, Case BME

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't think it's worth it if you aren't getting funding. Also, I'm not sure about this, but I think a M.Eng. is usually viewed as a terminal degree, rather than something to get on the way to a PhD.

It seems encouraging that Cornell would accept you into their master's program, though. If you'd really like to get into Materials Science but you think your lack of background is holding you back, you might want to think about trying again next year...and in the meantime take some MSE classes part time, and/or try and convince a materials science professor to let you do research with them for a year. Or do a master's degree, if you can find someone to fund you. I don't know if either of these options are feasible for you, or maybe you're happy with the PhD options you have right now, or maybe you're sick of this whole process and never want to have to go through it again :) ...but it's worth considering.

Since we are on the topic of Cornell, I heard someone mention that their department has taken a pretty big hit within the past 5-10 years with other schools cherry-picking their faculty. I don't know how much validity is behind this statement, but have any of you heard anything of the sort? I'm strongly considering Cornell and it doesn't seem to have effected my area of research if it is true.

Hi guys,

Has anyone heard from MIT DMSE? I noticed two entries for acceptances in the results forum but that is it. They say online their visit weekends are this past weekend and next weekend- so I assume it is not looking good for me. Has anyone been accepted and visited or heard anything??

On another note- did any MTLE people apply for the NSF GRFP this year? I did and am getting super antsy about the results coming in March.

Thanks and Good luck

YAY: RPI, Dartmouth, Case Western, Drexel, Cornell M.Eng.

BOO: UPenn, Cornell Ph.D., Boston U

???: UMich, MIT, Brown, Case BME

I guess that is better than a flat out rejection...I called and also emailed them, but no response at all. I didn't ask if i got in, just when they would be notifying since the visit weekends are done this weekend (according to the website). No luck though. I will cross my fingers for us that a few people decide to go somewhere else and maybe we will hear soon.

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to the earlier comment about Cornell: I talked to some guy over the NU visit, he said he hasn't heard of any cherry picking of Cornell Professors. Rumor probably isn't true. If it helps any, the guy said he loved it at Cornell.

Have anyone decided on where they'll be going to graduate school? NU was my last visit. I think I've made my decision (UCSB), but I want to give it a few more days until I start withdrawing my offers.

Yeah, I've met a ton of Cornell people at these events and they all seem to love Cornell and Ithaca.

My final decision is still up in the air, but that's mainly because I still have two visits left (WashU and Cornell). After my final visit, I'll probably be able to know which school will be best for me within a few days. So you must have really liked Santa Barbara, can't blame you since that was a really nice place. Have you received any finite financial offer from them? I don't like how the admission's letter was vague and mentioned a stipend of "at least" 26,000.

• 4 weeks later...