Starting Research Early?

weavr

I'm just finishing up my undergrad MS in ECE, and have been accepted to a school for a PhD program which, though I haven't formally accepted yet, I am about 95% likely too.  I am trying to figure out exactly what I want to do the summer before.  I know a lot of people recommend taking the summer before off, but I'd really prefer not to for financial reasons.  Also I just generally don't like the idea of doing nothing for 2-3 months.  I could look around for some standard part-time summer position, or potentially start research work early.  The latter option strikes me as more tempting because I'd be doing something that (I hope, since I intend to spend 5 years doing it) I will enjoy, as opposed to just something which will pay the bills.  This leaves me with a couple questions:

1) Is it fairly typical to start before the normal beginning of the Fall Semester?

2) Is it strange to ask my PI about the possibility of summer work when I haven't committed to the school yet?

3) Is wanting to start research early and shorten the break just a terrible idea I will regret if I do it?

Any thoughts appreciated!

1) Yes, it's really typical, in my experience.

2) Not that strange if you have been communicating well with the PI and they know that you are seriously considering their school. If you're not there yet, then get to that level and then ask. However, if you aren't going to base your final decision on this answer, then there's no rush, you can always ask this later. In truth, I don't think it's a good idea to base your decision on whether or not you can start early.

3) Depends on you! I didn't really take a break because I defended my MSc thesis, packed up my things, submitted the corrections, took 1 week off with family and then moved to PhD school. Two others in my cohort started early in the summer too. At my PhD school, approx. 30% of new students each year don't have any long break between what they were doing before and their PhD program. 

I think if you have had a tough undergrad/MS/whatever you were doing before and need some time to recharge then do that. But if you're ready to go and there's a funded summer position waiting for you, go for it. Most students who did start early in the summer are super productive during their first year of grad school. One guy I know even submitted a paper based on the summer work before grad school even began. Most others use that summer to either finish up a previous project with a new collaborator at the grad school, or to get a head start on their PhD research. It's much easier to keep research going during the first year if you started it in the summer when there's only research to do, instead of having to get started with both classes and research at the same time. 

Overall, I would say that unless you do get an extra paper out during that summer (rare), the extra benefit in productivity of starting early levels off around the end of the 2nd year (i.e. students starting early and students that did not end up at around the same level). So it's not like you are doomed to be less productive if you choose to take a break either. 

So it's up to you. I think that if you feel like you would be bored and if you want the extra funds and the position is available then go for it. 

Thanks!  That's helpful.

17 hours ago, TakeruK said:

However, if you aren't going to base your final decision on this answer, then there's no rush, you can always ask this later. 

Is there a rough time by which I should ask if I want a hope of actually getting a summer position?

4 hours ago, weavr said:

Thanks!  That's helpful.

Is there a rough time by which I should ask if I want a hope of actually getting a summer position?

Right after you accept the offer. Usually, it makes more sense to discuss details of a summer position after your PI knows you have committed.

I’m in a similar situation - starting an ECE Ph.D. in the fall, and I don’t want to take too much time off. I haven’t accepted my offer yet, but have already asked my potential advisor if I could start early. He said it’d be a great idea, and that grad students in the past have said that it’s helpful to do so. 

Also, one of my good friends told me that he “walked across the stage for (undergrad) graduation, and then packed my bags and started research the very next day.” He said that it helped a lot in adjusting to a new school and location. He also enjoyed getting to know his PI and fellow grad students without the pressure of classes and grades. 

1 hour ago, abcd128 said:

Also, one of my good friends told me that he “walked across the stage for (undergrad) graduation, and then packed my bags and started research the very next day.” He said that it helped a lot in adjusting to a new school and location. He also enjoyed getting to know his PI and fellow grad students without the pressure of classes and grades. 

Going from (Canadian) MS to PhD, I got final confirmation that all degree requirements were met days before I moved. And the graduation ceremony took place months after I already started at my PhD. Didn't fly back for that (did walk for BSc and PhD though).

One thing I forgot to note above: If you (or anyone else reading this and considering the same things) are an international student, your I-20 or DS-2019 will only allow you into the US 30 days prior to the start date on that document. The start date often defaults to the first day of orientation or something like that. So, after accepting an offer and confirming an earlier start date (with a RA contract or whatever funding), you need to also ensure the school's international office knows about the earlier date too, so that you can have an I-20 or DS-2019 with this earlier date and allow you to enter the USA.