American University

A week or so ago, I received an invite from American University to attend their graduate studies day. I've been trying to figure out if this means anything more than that they've cashed my check. However, there doesn't seem to be much information to be had in the search results.

Did everyone receive this e-mail/invite? Or am I allowed to hope a little bit?

A week or so ago, I received an invite from American University to attend their graduate studies day. I've been trying to figure out if this means anything more than that they've cashed my check. However, there doesn't seem to be much information to be had in the search results.

Hi bluellie -- I'm hoping that we're both still allowed to hope a bit, as I received this same informational e-mail from the CAS at American U last week. I'm not sure what the e-mail means; I looked on CAS's Web site, and I couldn't deduce from the published material whether this is an invite-only day (i.e., we must have been accepted) or a day open to all prospective graduate students. I fear it's the latter, though, and that decisions either still haven't been made or are yet to go out. Perhaps we can join our forces and find a way to stealthily contact the graduate department in the hopes of getting some information regarding when notifications will be sent? I don't know about you, but I applied around January 1, having heard it was rolling admissions, and now here it is, 2 months later, and I'm still yet to hear anything! *Rolling* admissions, hmph wink.gif

As a side note, do you happen to be from the DC area as well? I feel like there are likely not TOO many applicants to AU lingering on this board, as it's an unranked/not-always-funded program, and accordingly was curious if you were from DC or the suburbs and had gotten wind of it that way (as I had smile.gif). PM me if you'd like to and we can chat!

Edited by artist_lily

Hi bluellie -- I'm hoping that we're both still allowed to hope a bit, as I received this same informational e-mail from the CAS at American U last week. I'm not sure what the e-mail means; I looked on CAS's Web site, and I couldn't deduce from the published material whether this is an invite-only day (i.e., we must have been accepted) or a day open to all prospective graduate students. I fear it's the latter, though, and that decisions either still haven't been made or are yet to go out. Perhaps we can join our forces and find a way to stealthily contact the graduate department in the hopes of getting some information regarding when notifications will be sent? I don't know about you, but I applied around January 1, having heard it was rolling admissions, and now here it is, 2 months later, and I'm still yet to hear anything! *Rolling* admissions, hmph wink.gif

As a side note, do you happen to be from the DC area as well? I feel like there are likely not TOO many applicants to AU lingering on this board, as it's an unranked/not-always-funded program, and accordingly was curious if you were from DC or the suburbs and had gotten wind of it that way (as I had smile.gif). PM me if you'd like to and we can chat!

I'm a current AU grad student, and good luck to both of you! I wouldn't judge AU on its ranking or lack thereof, as the fac is wonderful and very supportive. This program has really prepared me for Ph.D. studies, and its location in D.C. offers so many more extra resources, such as the consortium. I've been accepted to two Ph.D. programs so far, with full funding packages from both, so if you do well at AU, you'll be in a good position when applying to doctoral programs!

I'm a current AU grad student, and good luck to both of you! I wouldn't judge AU on its ranking or lack thereof, as the fac is wonderful and very supportive. This program has really prepared me for Ph.D. studies, and its location in D.C. offers so many more extra resources, such as the consortium. I've been accepted to two Ph.D. programs so far, with full funding packages from both, so if you do well at AU, you'll be in a good position when applying to doctoral programs!

Thanks so much for the inside info on AU's program, Bardolater! I apologize if I sounded like I thought AU wasn't a great program because of its unranked status; I just feel like on Grad Cafe, most of the people tend to be pretty focused on the rankings and perhaps then less likely to apply to AU. That being said, I've applied to AU exactly for the reasons you've mentioned: the amazing resources available to grad students because of AU's proximity to D.C., the excellent interdisciplinary approach to literature that the department seems to take, and the friendly response I had when I contacted the DGS. I'm hopeful I'll get an acceptance there, as it's definitely among my top choices! And in that regard, it's terrific to hear a current student there extol the virtues of the program; it's hard to get a real sense of a department "from the outside looking in," so your testimony that AU is, in fact, all it seems to be and more just makes me more excited about potentially attending there. Now let's get those acceptances coming, shall we? wink.gif

As a side note, and of course, if and only if you don't mind sharing, did you manage to secure a funded MA from American, or are you going on your own dime? I couldn't quite deduce from the Web site how likely funding is, but I'm hoping that this year's economic woes haven't put financial packages for potentially incoming MAs out of the picture! rolleyes.gif

All the best,

artist_lily

Thanks so much for the inside info on AU's program, Bardolater! I apologize if I sounded like I thought AU wasn't a great program because of its unranked status; I just feel like on Grad Cafe, most of the people tend to be pretty focused on the rankings and perhaps then less likely to apply to AU. That being said, I've applied to AU exactly for the reasons you've mentioned: the amazing resources available to grad students because of AU's proximity to D.C., the excellent interdisciplinary approach to literature that the department seems to take, and the friendly response I had when I contacted the DGS. I'm hopeful I'll get an acceptance there, as it's definitely among my top choices! And in that regard, it's terrific to hear a current student there extol the virtues of the program; it's hard to get a real sense of a department "from the outside looking in," so your testimony that AU is, in fact, all it seems to be and more just makes me more excited about potentially attending there. Now let's get those acceptances coming, shall we? wink.gif

As a side note, and of course, if and only if you don't mind sharing, did you manage to secure a funded MA from American, or are you going on your own dime? I couldn't quite deduce from the Web site how likely funding is, but I'm hoping that this year's economic woes haven't put financial packages for potentially incoming MAs out of the picture! rolleyes.gif

All the best,

artist_lily

I got a fellowship (tuition waiver + stipend) and a part-time job as assistant to the program director (the one who contacted you; I totally love her :) ). I know other students here who are on "their own dime," though, but who really love the program. A lot of the other students work in the writing center and/or, in their second years, teaching composition. I have no idea how the funding looks for this fall's class, though.

Please feel free to ask any other questions.

I received it as well, but have yet to hear anything about an admissions decision.

I feel like there are likely not TOO many applicants to AU lingering on this board, as it's an unranked/not-always-funded program

Do schools with only terminal MAs even get ranked? I'm thinking they don't, but I could be mistaken. None of the MA-only schools I applied to are ranked, even though some of them are very competitive and send their grads on to highly ranked PhD programs.

I received it as well, but have yet to hear anything about an admissions decision.

Do schools with only terminal MAs even get ranked? I'm thinking they don't, but I could be mistaken. None of the MA-only schools I applied to are ranked, even though some of them are very competitive and send their grads on to highly ranked PhD programs.

Ah, good point. I had completely overlooked that detail, probably because I applied to some MA programs at schools with ranked (continuing) PhD programs and had somehow accidentally conflated the PhD rankings with the MA rankings. Thanks for bringing that up, meowmeow!

I applied to some MA programs at schools with ranked (continuing) PhD programs and had somehow accidentally conflated the PhD rankings with the MA rankings.

No problem! I did the same thing at first – I was pretty bewildered that one of my top choices wasn't ranked at all.

No problem! I did the same thing at first – I was pretty bewildered that one of my top choices wasn't ranked at all.

Question about the research you did into the schools - I'm thinking about adding two or three terminal MAs to my app round next year, (just in case I don't get into any PhD's again) - how to you determine which ones were the best for future PhD plans? I'm not horribly ranking oriented, but I do want to go to a program that I know that if I do well in, my chances of PhD acceptance are higher, (although my undergrad isn't bad - it's quite good actually, as are the recent GRE scores. It's that I graduated nine years ago, so my LORs are from profs that knew me nine years ago - they remembered me well, but more recent LORs are better, as we all know).

I've found so little data online regarding MA programs that it's hard for me to figure out where I should apply for a terminal MA! (PhD's are much easier. Rankings, talk on the forums, placements, etc.) Also, being in a different country doesn't help.

I'd appreciate any input B)

B

Question about the research you did into the schools - I'm thinking about adding two or three terminal MAs to my app round next year, (just in case I don't get into any PhD's again) - how to you determine which ones were the best for future PhD plans?

I've found so little data online regarding MA programs that it's hard for me to figure out where I should apply for a terminal MA! (PhD's are much easier. Rankings, talk on the forums, placements, etc.) Also, being in a different country doesn't help.

I'm only applying to terminal M.A. programs, and I agree that there isn't a lot of information out there for us in terms of what is a "good" program. My strategy this year was to apply to places where I could either get in-state tuition or where they funded their M.A. students. From what I've gathered M.A.s where you have to pay your way tend to be viewed as cash-cow programs and therefore their reputation, no matter how good the school, is a tad tainted. I've found this post to be extremely helpful as a starting point: Funded Terminal M.A.. Bear in mind, though, this isn't a complete list. I found that out AFTER application deadlines passed, of course.

I asked my adviser the importance of getting an M.A. from a name-brand university and her response was that it was okay to choose a more affordable school over a branded school for a Master's; it's not an uncommon practice. Look at where your professors got their credentials. =)

I'm only applying to terminal M.A. programs, and I agree that there isn't a lot of information out there for us in terms of what is a "good" program. My strategy this year was to apply to places where I could either get in-state tuition or where they funded their M.A. students. From what I've gathered M.A.s where you have to pay your way tend to be viewed as cash-cow programs and therefore their reputation, no matter how good the school, is a tad tainted. I've found this post to be extremely helpful as a starting point: Funded Terminal M.A.. Bear in mind, though, this isn't a complete list. I found that out AFTER application deadlines passed, of course.

I asked my adviser the importance of getting an M.A. from a name-brand university and her response was that it was okay to choose a more affordable school over a branded school for a Master's; it's not an uncommon practice. Look at where your professors got their credentials. =)

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I haven't been living in the US for the past nine years, so my VA residency has probably expired (as did my driver's license). But a funded program is a must - I can't afford to pay for two years of grad school. Thanks for the link, I'll add it to my growing Grad School bookmark folder hahahahah!

Question about the research you did into the schools - I'm thinking about adding two or three terminal MAs to my app round next year, (just in case I don't get into any PhD's again) - how to you determine which ones were the best for future PhD plans?

I've had a hard time figuring this out myself. Some of the schools I have looked at, such as Wake Forest, include at least a sampling of their graduates' PhD placement information on their websites. Others don't mention it at all (not sure if that is because there is no "good news" to broadcast or if there is another reason). Unfortunately, more of the schools I applied to fall in the latter category.

In my case, though, the primary factor in whether or not I applied to a school (besides requiring that the school offered funding to at least some candidates) was fit. I am going to visit all of the schools that have accepted me, so where students go for the PhD is something I will ask about in person.

By the way, good luck to you this year! I hope you don't need a second year of applications.

I've had a hard time figuring this out myself. Some of the schools I have looked at, such as Wake Forest, include at least a sampling of their graduates' PhD placement information on their websites. Others don't mention it at all (not sure if that is because there is no "good news" to broadcast or if there is another reason). Unfortunately, more of the schools I applied to fall in the latter category.

In my case, though, the primary factor in whether or not I applied to a school (besides requiring that the school offered funding to at least some candidates) was fit. I am going to visit all of the schools that have accepted me, so where students go for the PhD is something I will ask about in person.

By the way, good luck to you this year! I hope you don't need a second year of applications.

Thank you! I probably will - I was woefully unprepared for this round (my first GRE was not very good, SOP was not focused and terrific, overall, I doubt I presented my unique interests and abilities at their best. However, general GRE was ratified, subject test in April should solve that, and I'm revising a writing sample and writing a brand new SOP - much more focused and together for next year). However, I learned a LOT and in case that my new writing sample won't cut it (since I'm writing it on my own without benefit of professors around me), I hope I can get into an MA program and try again :D.

Just wanted to share with all those waiting that I think acceptances are now in the process of going out. I received an e-mail from Dr. Menon, the literature DGS, around 1 PM today (that's my result posted on the "results search" page), accepting me into the program (she said a letter has also been sent via post, but as I'm in Austria, I haven't received it yet). The e-mail didn't provide any additional details but to say that funding decisions would be made in April; there was no info regarding the size of the incoming class or where they are in the notification process.

In the meantime, all the very, very best to all those still waiting to hear! I am sure there will be several happy acceptances on this board shortly, and I can't wait to share in the excitement together! smile.gif

Just wanted to share with all those waiting that I think acceptances are now in the process of going out. I received an e-mail from Dr. Menon, the literature DGS, around 1 PM today (that's my result posted on the "results search" page), accepting me into the program (she said a letter has also been sent via post, but as I'm in Austria, I haven't received it yet). The e-mail didn't provide any additional details but to say that funding decisions would be made in April; there was no info regarding the size of the incoming class or where they are in the notification process.

In the meantime, all the very, very best to all those still waiting to hear! I am sure there will be several happy acceptances on this board shortly, and I can't wait to share in the excitement together! smile.gif

Congratulations! I've seen some of your posts, and it makes me happy to see one that filled with happiness rather than anxiety (and to be fair: hope -- and well-founded hope, at that, as it turned out...)!

Edited by p7389

Thank you all for your congratulations! I'm so excited about the acceptance, and I wish all the very best to all those who are still waiting to hear. I'm sure there will be LOTS of good AU-related news to celebrate soon! smile.gif

Has anyone else received word from AU? They're on spring break this week, so who I imagine we're going to have to endure yet another week of silence.

Is anyone else planning to attend their Graduate Studies Day on March 19th?

Edited by bluellie

• 3 weeks later...

I have been out of town for several days, but just returned to find an acceptance letter from AU! Anyone else heard from them lately? Fingers crossed for those of you still waiting.

Congratulations! It seems like they do rolling admissions, so there may still be hope for those still waiting. I believe funding decisions will be made in early April. A caveat: they try to accept 10-11 but can only afford to fund three. At least, this is for the MA program. I'm not sure what the situation is for MFAs.