Post your final choice! (2018)

R1001

It may be a little early, but I wanted to start a final decision thread, just in case people had made a decision. It may help those of us who are trying to make decisions, knowing what other people considered when making their decisions. I figure we can do something similar to what this thread was like last year:

Acceptances

Research Interests

Final Choice

Reason

• 2 weeks later...

What up my fellow sociology PhD hopefuls. I'll be attending PSU this coming fall, for Sociology (not Crim.) I was accepted last year, and chose to defer my acceptance because of some personal things going on in my life; I needed to take a year before diving into the PhD program. (As a side note, I would not recommend deferring your acceptances, as I don't think many schools allows it; this was an unusual case where, I'm pretty sure, I was one of their top applicants last year. Don't really know that for certain, of course, but that's sure what it seemed like.)

I chose PSU because I'm interested in the dual PhD program in Sociology and Social Data Analytics, which I'll be applying for after a year or so in the program. I already have my MA in sociology, with specializations and interests in theory and digital sociology, and so the Social Data Analytics program is a perfect pair with my interests, since they teach many big data methods. They have a strong record, even though it's a relatively new program, of placing individuals in internships and jobs with companies like Google, Facebook, etc., so it'll be nice to keep those doors open in case the strictly academic route doesn't work out for me. My hope is to work with either Diane Felmlee or Ashton Verdery during my time at PSU.

Best of luck to everyone in their decision!

5 hours ago, IncomingPhD2017 said:

What up my fellow sociology PhD hopefuls. I'll be attending PSU this coming fall, for Sociology (not Crim.) I was accepted last year, and chose to defer my acceptance because of some personal things going on in my life; I needed to take a year before diving into the PhD program. (As a side note, I would not recommend deferring your acceptances, as I don't think many schools allows it; this was an unusual case where, I'm pretty sure, I was one of their top applicants last year. Don't really know that for certain, of course, but that's sure what it seemed like.)

I chose PSU because I'm interested in the dual PhD program in Sociology and Social Data Analytics, which I'll be applying for after a year or so in the program. I already have my MA in sociology, with specializations and interests in theory and digital sociology, and so the Social Data Analytics program is a perfect pair with my interests, since they teach many big data methods. They have a strong record, even though it's a relatively new program, of placing individuals in internships and jobs with companies like Google, Facebook, etc., so it'll be nice to keep those doors open in case the strictly academic route doesn't work out for me. My hope is to work with either Diane Felmlee or Ashton Verdery during my time at PSU.

Best of luck to everyone in their decision!

I’m also strongly considering PSU, but for Crim. Are the Soc and Crim visit days the same? The Crim visit is March 22-24.

On 3/7/2018 at 11:08 PM, R1001 said:

I’m also strongly considering PSU, but for Crim. Are the Soc and Crim visit days the same? The Crim visit is March 22-24.

Hey, I'm not sure about this year (I didn't get an invite to it this year since I'm not a prospective student at this point) but iirc last year they were on the same weekend.

Edited by IncomingPhD2017

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I try to bump this now that I’ve made my decision. If anyone else wants to post as well it may help others still trying to make a decision and connect with others in your cohort.

Acceptances NC State (Sociology PhD), Kent State (Sociology PhD), Indiana (Criminal Justice PhD), Penn State (Criminology PhD), Washington State (Criminal Justice and Criminology MA)

Research Interests Mental Health and Race in the Criminal Justice System

Final Choice Penn State

Reason Penn State is the perfect department for my interests. They’re well established in both Sociology and Criminology and offer the opportunity to get a degree in either. The research being done by faculty and current students is exciting and fits well with what I want to do. The environment seemed supportive and collaborative. The faculty and current students were nice and honest about the program, and I got along with the other prospective students well. They have a history of great placements both in and out of academia and their graduates and faculty are well-respected in their fields. The only concern I had was the cost of living in State College, but the funding package they offered was good enough to offset those concerns. It really was a prefect fit.