snowflake95

Question

4 answers to this question

Most applications have questions about your ethnic background, veteran and disability status. However, many schools don't pass this info onto their departments/admissions committees as the info may only be used at the University level for aggregate statistics.

If you want to ensure the admissions committee sees it, you should include it in your SOP somehow. Other places it could go are the "personal history statement" as well as the box often provided which asks if you have any other information to share. That said, I would suggest that it might only make sense to include this information (particularly if you include it in your SOP) if you are able to write a clear connection between this and your application. (To be clear, I'm not saying you're not already planning to do this, just being complete in providing info!)

5 hours ago, snowflake95 said:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on how to disclose a disability when applying for grad school. I was born legally blind and would like the admissions committee to be aware of this. Any feedback would be great, thanks! :)

Hi! I disclosed my disability in a short paragraph at the end of my SOP/personal statement. I was just accepted to Michigan State for a dual JD/PhD in philosophy with guaranteed full funding for five years. Be super proud of your work and goals! If you have any more specific questions, please don't hesitate to reach out! Here for you! :) 

2 hours ago, TakeruK said:

Most applications have questions about your ethnic background, veteran and disability status. However, many schools don't pass this info onto their departments/admissions committees as the info may only be used at the University level for aggregate statistics.

If you want to ensure the admissions committee sees it, you should include it in your SOP somehow. Other places it could go are the "personal history statement" as well as the box often provided which asks if you have any other information to share. That said, I would suggest that it might only make sense to include this information (particularly if you include it in your SOP) if you are able to write a clear connection between this and your application. (To be clear, I'm not saying you're not already planning to do this, just being complete in providing info!)

perfect, thank you so much for the advice!

1 hour ago, Bookchin said:

Hi! I disclosed my disability in a short paragraph at the end of my SOP/personal statement. I was just accepted to Michigan State for a dual JD/PhD in philosophy with guaranteed full funding for five years. Be super proud of your work and goals! If you have any more specific questions, please don't hesitate to reach out! Here for you! :) 

Amazing, thank you. It's nice to know someone else who's applied with one :) Congrats on you admission and funding, that's amazing! One of my favourite profs went there for his undergrad in history and then continued onto harvard for his masters and phd, so it must be a great school :D