Received I-20 for school A, Is it ethical enough to cancel because I want school B

Ceeroh

When I made my applications last year, I did to two schools in the US. I was shortlisted for interview at both schools. School A and School B. School A were more interactive than B and I got an offer (which I accepted). On the day I got my I-20 document from school A, I got a mail from school B regarding an offer. Both offers are funded and with Assistantship.

How permissible and ethical is it that I change/decline my offer to school A?

Personally, both programs are a perfect fit my academic career. The only nuance, for me, is that school B pays more than School A.

So, I've never been in this situation, but it's my understanding that when you accept an offer, it looks preeeeetty bad to take it back. I don't know if you've signed your contract already - but that's kind of a binding doccument, I think? And regardless, now that you've accepted, they might have rejected someone on the waitlist, already made plans for you, etc. I mean if you're REALLY feelin' School B, it'd be worth it to ask School A if you can rescind your acceptance, but there's a good chance they'll get angry. 

1 hour ago, SomeoneThrewMyShoe said:

So, I've never been in this situation, but it's my understanding that when you accept an offer, it looks preeeeetty bad to take it back. I don't know if you've signed your contract already - but that's kind of a binding doccument, I think? And regardless, now that you've accepted, they might have rejected someone on the waitlist, already made plans for you, etc. I mean if you're REALLY feelin' School B, it'd be worth it to ask School A if you can rescind your acceptance, but there's a good chance they'll get angry. 

Thank you for your reply. No matter what I decide, I will try not to burn bridges.

3 hours ago, SomeoneThrewMyShoe said:

Unless someone has a very atypical scenario, accepting a school's offer of admission is not a binding document. It's not a legal document either. It's just you telling the school / giving your word that you will attend. So if you change your mind afterwards, there's nothing School A can do to make you attend School A (which is a good thing, because what kind of world would we live in if schools can make you go to their program??) However, as you said, changing your mind after making a commitment is a bad thing to do and the school will likely be upset with you. If School B finds out about this, it could also cause them to reconsider your admission (but probably won't).

4 hours ago, Ceeroh said:

When I made my applications last year, I did to two schools in the US. I was shortlisted for interview at both schools. School A and School B. School A were more interactive than B and I got an offer (which I accepted). On the day I got my I-20 document from school A, I got a mail from school B regarding an offer. Both offers are funded and with Assistantship.

How permissible and ethical is it that I change/decline my offer to school A?

Personally, both programs are a perfect fit my academic career. The only nuance, for me, is that school B pays more than School A.

If you truly believe School B is better for you than School A, and you want to go to School B, then you have to do what's best for you and accept whatever consequences/bridge burning happens from withdrawing your acceptance from School A. You don't have to "ask" School A if you are allowed to withdraw because of course you are allowed to withdraw. So if you want to change your school, you have to just tell School A that you made a mistake earlier when you accepted their offer and you will no longer be attending their program. Apologize but don't expect them to be happy with it. Tell them sooner rather than later (i.e. decide this by Monday) so that they can still try to accept someone else.