Central European University - Thoughts? Risky?

kaban2018

Question

Hi all! 

I have looked around, but don't see a lot of information on the forum about Central European University. Has anyone applied here? Pros and cons of the program? I understand that currently the political situation of the university is delicate, but they promise that any accepted or current students will receive their degree, regardless of political decisions. 

Has anyone been accepted and chosen not to go because of these reasons? Any major pluses about the school? Why did you choose to apply and/or accept offer of admission? Any thoughts on the MPA program in particular?  

I am interested in all perspectives... just can't seem to find a lot of information on this university! I have applied (2 year MPA) and am currently waiting to hear back. 

Thanks in advance! 

2 answers to this question

I was accepted to CEU last year for a different program (MSc) and re-applied this year. I rejected last year simply because this year I decided to take up a funded master's at Oxbridge in a different subject but now re-applied because I still want to do that MSc program. 

I've always heard excellent things about CEU but this year decided to seek direct advice from my Oxbridge professors who have had nothing but very positive things to say about CEU. All of them especially noted the international reputation of CEU, given the top calibre academics and researchers it is able to attract. CEU recently got placed in the top 100 unis in the world in a bunch of subject rankings (the uni isn't present in the overall ranking bc it doesn't have undergraduate programs) - I did a quick search and it was between 51-100 for social policy & administration in the world.

Other pros: super international, their diplomas are also accredited in the U.S., Budapest is amazing, and their funding is incredibly generous

Also, a few days ago CEU got officially re-accredited by the Hungarian government, so not too worried about that.

Best of luck with your application and please feel free to message me if you have any other questions!