Illinois Poli Sci PhD Applicants

JordanJames

Also, as someone from the SEC, the quaintness of memorial stadium was amusing, in fact I drove right past it the first night I was there and never noticed. Kind of hard to do that with Bryant-Denny and its 95k seats.

Oh no, our poor stadium! THE BEARS USED IT. IT MUST BE GOOD. Oh, wait, I do not care if it is lame. Especially not now that they made the TERRIBLE (probably excellent for them) DECISION not to admit me! We will just see if my UIUC alumni license plate holder stays on my car!!!

Oh, and the food. The food was AMAZING. There is a greek restaurant called Papa George's that has the best lamb I have ever had, didn't even know that it could taste like that. And an even better place called Alexander's, where you cook your own steak in the middle of the restaurant, was KILLER. The most tender beef I have ever had. I could eat there every day. Everyone told me that the beef in the midwest was the best in the world, I sure believe it now.

Yes! I occasionally force my loved ones and friends to go to Alexander's for birthdays or other celebrations. It is distressing to me how few of my friends like cooking their own steaks, and complain about how you have to pay to have the staff do it; hey, if you are too much of a whiny baby to make your own steak perfect, instead of letting some sucker mess it up for $2.50, you deserve what you get. Particularly since I know I have basically had 1 steak in 10 cooked the way I actually want it at a restaurant when I am not doing it. I never did go to Papa George's when I was there. How sad.

Let us keep talking about food. Now, if you do go to UIUC, keep the words "The Beef House" in mind. That is the name of a restaurant just past the Illinois-Indiana border on 74 that has literally the greatest beef IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. Now, I have never wandered in Texas looking for the greatest steaks, and I imagine there must be better steaks in the world, but that is one of the only "legendary" restaurants we have in the surrounding corn-areas.

Oh, and you should obviously visit my hometown (Bloomington-)Normal for its CORN FESTIVAL over the summer, since it is hard to get better corn anywhere in the world (I do feel pretty confident with this one).

Coffee in DC is tricky, there are lots and lots of chains around, so that is what you mostly have to choose from. Starbucks and cosi are by default the ones I usually go to, but my favorite in the city was bread & chocolate's vanilla mocha. I think that there are a couple of locations, but the one I went to all of the time was by eastern market. There is another place on 8th & I SE that I loved, I can't remember the name but it was almost right next door to a restaurant called Marty's.

I worked in Dupont for a while and there was another chain called corner bakery that had really good coffee. I think that there is one by the Lincoln Center as well.

Hope this helps, if all else fails there is a starbucks on pretty much every corner. At one time when I was at the Elliott School at GW, there were three starbucks on the same block...

Oh no, our poor stadium! THE BEARS USED IT. IT MUST BE GOOD. Oh, wait, I do not care if it is lame. Especially not now that they made the TERRIBLE (probably excellent for them) DECISION not to admit me! We will just see if my UIUC alumni license plate holder stays on my car!!!

Yes! I occasionally force my loved ones and friends to go to Alexander's for birthdays or other celebrations. It is distressing to me how few of my friends like cooking their own steaks, and complain about how you have to pay to have the staff do it; hey, if you are too much of a whiny baby to make your own steak perfect, instead of letting some sucker mess it up for $2.50, you deserve what you get. Particularly since I know I have basically had 1 steak in 10 cooked the way I actually want it at a restaurant when I am not doing it. I never did go to Papa George's when I was there. How sad.

Let us keep talking about food. Now, if you do go to UIUC, keep the words "The Beef House" in mind. That is the name of a restaurant just past the Illinois-Indiana border on 74 that has literally the greatest beef IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. Now, I have never wandered in Texas looking for the greatest steaks, and I imagine there must be better steaks in the world, but that is one of the only "legendary" restaurants we have in the surrounding corn-areas.

Oh, and you should obviously visit my hometown (Bloomington-)Normal for its CORN FESTIVAL over the summer, since it is hard to get better corn anywhere in the world (I do feel pretty confident with this one).

Thanks for the tip, I will surely try to find "The Beef House." Someone told me about another place called the ribeye that I am going to check out in August. My wife and I did check out the Amish settlements in Arthur and got some really good bread and apple butter, so that is going to be a regular field trip for us.

• 2 weeks later...