Boston Schools – Car?

Hi everyone!

To those of you considering Boston schools–are you planning on having a car, or do you know if students typically do in the Boston area? I know it can be helpful for clinical placements, but Boston also has decent public transportation and I know parking/traffic can be brutal in the city. I'm going to have to start saving up for one if that's the move, but I'd love to hear others' thoughts first!  

I live in Boston and I have a car. You definitely don't need one and I only use it once a week to grocery shop or go to a specific place. Honestly, I avoid driving at all costs because the drivers are crazy, the traffic is awful, and parking is impossible. If you don't have a car, make sure to live somewhere close to the T. I would recommend living near the T rather than buses. It depends on the bus line, but some buses only come every hour so they aren't helpful in getting you places for a certain time. Also, be aware that some grad schools will tell you that you may be required to have a car for some external placements!

Thank you both! That's great to hear incase I can't get a car right away. @SpeechGal1234, I think I noticed in another thread that you're a current student at MGH. I'm 95% sure I'll be going there in the fall! Do most of your classmates have cars? Do you recommend any specific neighborhoods to live in? Does MGH require a car for some external placements? Sorry for the rapid fire! :lol: Trying to map out some logistics before making a final decision.

@mlr I would guess that most of the students in my cohort don't have a car. Most students do not drive to campus because parking can be difficult. They DO specifically tell incoming students that for your second year external placements, you may be required to have a car. I would not recommend bringing a car first year unless you have a plan for parking near your home, but be prepared to have one second year if necessary. The majority of students live in Charlestown (close to school), the North End, or Cambridge/Summerville. My recommendation is to look for places that have access to North Station, and be prepared for a commute. Most people have a 30-45 minutes commute so that is pretty normal! 

Edited by SpeechGal1234

On 3/9/2018 at 1:27 PM, SpeechGal1234 said:

@mlr I would guess that most of the students in my cohort don't have a car. Most students do not drive to campus because parking can be difficult. They DO specifically tell incoming students that for your second year external placements, you may be required to have a car. I would not recommend bringing a car first year unless you have a plan for parking near your home, but be prepared to have one second year if necessary. The majority of students live in Charlestown (close to school), the North End, or Cambridge/Summerville. My recommendation is to look for places that have access to North Station, and be prepared for a commute. Most people have a 30-45 minutes commute so that is pretty normal! 

Thank you so much! That's super helpful :)