Will I get into these Sociology Programs in California - CSUN and CSU DH? I'm sad about my GRE Scores

karentr75

Hey everyone,

I took my GREs today. I was OK with my scores based on what I thought the school I'd like to go to wants at a minimum, until I realized that my score really is quite dismal. Here's the thing: I'm applying to two sociology programs here locally in California: Cal State Northridge and Cal State Dominguez Hills. Also, I have been out of college now for 13 years - I am 34 years old. I am not concerned with rankings - I am here in Los Angeles and do not want to move, and though the schools are not the best, they have decent sociology programs - and I want a master's degree! The schools do say that as long as an applicant scores in the upper 50th percentile on at least one portion of the GRE, they are fine - and today I got a 510 in Verbal (way lower that I was testing at on my practice tests) and 530 on math. Ugh. In undergrad, I was a psychology major and my core gpa is high. My regular (cumulative) GPA was only a 3.0, and in fact, I partied so hard at the end of my college career that I went from the Dean's list to the shit list (which does not typically happen - it's usually the other way around). So, I'm an average gpa/gre applicant with some career/life experience, who will have good recommendations. Does anyone out there have words of advice? Should I retake the GRE? Do any of you out there know anything about the California State system? Any input would be appreciated.

Hey everyone,

I took my GREs today. I was OK with my scores based on what I thought the school I'd like to go to wants at a minimum, until I realized that my score really is quite dismal. Here's the thing: I'm applying to two sociology programs here locally in California: Cal State Northridge and Cal State Dominguez Hills. Also, I have been out of college now for 13 years - I am 34 years old. I am not concerned with rankings - I am here in Los Angeles and do not want to move, and though the schools are not the best, they have decent sociology programs - and I want a master's degree! The schools do say that as long as an applicant scores in the upper 50th percentile on at least one portion of the GRE, they are fine - and today I got a 510 in Verbal (way lower that I was testing at on my practice tests) and 530 on math. Ugh. In undergrad, I was a psychology major and my core gpa is high. My regular (cumulative) GPA was only a 3.0, and in fact, I partied so hard at the end of my college career that I went from the Dean's list to the shit list (which does not typically happen - it's usually the other way around). So, I'm an average gpa/gre applicant with some career/life experience, who will have good recommendations. Does anyone out there have words of advice? Should I retake the GRE? Do any of you out there know anything about the California State system? Any input would be appreciated.

Isn't you verbal above 50% percentile? I'm not sure about it, but if so, I think you are safe. And whether to retake GRE or not could be a minor issues compared to your SoP and writing sample. However, if your don't have any section scored above 50% (I think your math score is less likely to be 50% than verbal), retake it, no doubt.

And I would suggest that you don't worry about your GPA too much. I don't think a 13 year old GPA could matter as much as some other things do: your work experience (actually the relation between it and your prospective grad study), your sample work or your SoP.

Isn't you verbal above 50% percentile? I'm not sure about it, but if so, I think you are safe. And whether to retake GRE or not could be a minor issues compared to your SoP and writing sample. However, if your don't have any section scored above 50% (I think your math score is less likely to be 50% than verbal), retake it, no doubt.

And I would suggest that you don't worry about your GPA too much. I don't think a 13 year old GPA could matter as much as some other things do: your work experience (actually the relation between it and your prospective grad study), your sample work or your SoP.

I agree. I think you are fine with those scores and GPA. LOR and SOP are seemingly the most important aspect of your app.