Preparation for OB PhD

oldlady

I would DEFINITELY talk to the faculty at the program you will be attending. I believe that most of the required quantitative courses would be in statistics (and won't need calculus), but there are exceptions. The need for calculus as such probably depends on your research topic and the type of analysis you want to use.

In other words, you probably don't need calculus, so it's worth checking with the department before you potentially waste your time. Also,if calculus isn't needed, they might be able to recommend a different course which would be more useful.

Thanks for the replies. One prof suggested that I take econometrics before the fall, but then two others laughed when I told them what the first had said and said econometrics was not necessary. I guess it all depends on with whom one is working, but I don't want to limit myself right out of the gate. I've never taken econometrics -- is calculus helpful/required for econometrics?

Again, it depends. Graduate-level econometrics taken from the economics department will be very theory-heavy and as such will require calculus (and linear algebra). A more applied econometrics course at the undergraduate level or from another department may not. This would be something to ask the departments to which you're admitted. Calculus was a pre-requisite for introductory econometrics at my undergrad but I know that's not always the case.

If you're under some kind of time pressure to register for the course, then IMO it's not a bad idea to take it. You may not absolutely need it, but it doesn't hurt to make your math background a little stronger and therefore expand the set of methodological tools available to you.

Thanks, chimerical -- I think what you say makes sense. I am retaking linear/matrix algebra and statistics now (took them 15 years ago and remember very little) and I agree that one quarter of calculus won't hurt. So thanks for the input!

Chimerical's advice is good. It is not the case, however, that an econ requirement means you will definitely need to have taken calculus -- some econ classes do not use calculus at all or much. If you were definitely coming to my program, I would probably advise you not to take it, but since you are not sure where you're going and don't want to limit yourself, it could be a good idea. Even in my program, where students without a calculus background do just fine, I'm still occasionally glad I took calculus anyway.

Edited by socialpsych

Chimerical's advice is good. It is not the case, however, that an econ requirement means you will definitely need to have taken calculus -- some econ classes do not use calculus at all or much. If you were definitely coming to my program, I would probably advise you not to take it, but since you are not sure where you're going and don't want to limit yourself, it could be a good idea. Even in my program, where students without a calculus background do just fine, I'm still occasionally glad I took calculus anyway.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll likely take it, as I am finding the current brush-up courses useful, and I am probably not as much of a quant jock as some of the other students may be. I think I'd rather be on the side of "occasionally glad", if you know what I mean... smile.gif