What to make of the silence from UVA and Vanderbilt

Emails to the 5 remaining schools that have treated me with total silence and got unofficial rejections from SUNY Buffalo ( but not care to change my status on the website , as if a "Not Reviewed" is so much better for my nerves) and from UC Davis (for PhD in Comparative Lit.; no show on the website either).

So far no noise coming from Vanderbilt, UVA and Maryland. A cohort of 7 + is what I heard from Vanderbilt earlier this application season. I still hold out hope for UVA and Maryland, but I have to stop kidding myself over Vanderbilt. March basically is, as far as I know, its Month of Rejection, a massacre preferred over stray kill, the beauty of streamlining.

But why the silence treatment still when I am desperate enough to urge a direct response? because they have a protocol (for rejection) to follow?

Emails to the 5 remaining schools that have treated me with total silence and got unofficial rejections from SUNY Buffalo ( but not care to change my status on the website , as if a "Not Reviewed" is so much better for my nerves) and from UC Davis (for PhD in Comparative Lit.; no show on the website either).

So far no noise coming from Vanderbilt, UVA and Maryland. A cohort of 7 + is what I heard from Vanderbilt earlier this application season. I still hold out hope for UVA and Maryland, but I have to stop kidding myself over Vanderbilt. March basically is, as far as I know, its Month of Rejection, a massacre preferred over stray kill, the beauty of streamlining.

But why the silence treatment still when I am desperate enough to urge a direct response? because they have a protocol (for rejection) to follow?

Hi there,

I was just in contact with UVA since I was requesting information about their Open House (I was admitted back in the 2nd week of February and have heard more or less nothing until today). Their grad administrator informed me (verbatim), "We are still processing final admissions selections and extending offers. You will be contacted soon regarding the Open House arrangements." So don't lose hope! A professor also emailed me today to let me know that they had over 500 applicants, so they have a lot to sort through.

Good luck :)

Hi there,

I was just in contact with UVA since I was requesting information about their Open House (I was admitted back in the 2nd week of February and have heard more or less nothing until today). Their grad administrator informed me (verbatim), "We are still processing final admissions selections and extending offers. You will be contacted soon regarding the Open House arrangements." So don't lose hope! A professor also emailed me today to let me know that they had over 500 applicants, so they have a lot to sort through.

Good luck :)

Thank you for taking the time to post this, despite the fact that you already have an acceptance there. The fact that you are willing to take time out of your day (even if it is minimal) to help ease the concerns of those of us still waiting speaks to the quality of your character, in my humblest of opinions. Not that I know you, of course, but the gesture is sincerely appreciated!

I think a lot of the delay is due to the fact that the departments don't seem to have direct control over the notification systems (be it online or hard copy letters or mass emails). It seems to me that many departments make their decisions and then turn them over to administration to be "officially processed." As we all know, admin can be a slow-moving machine! So accepted students tend to find out sooner (because departments can just contact them individually by phone or email)....but there would be far too many calls/emails to make to individually notify students who can't be offered admission. Frankly I get the sense that individual departments are as irritated about the notification process as we are.

Anyhow, I'm sorry this application round has been tough on you. Don't lose hope though, many, many people get in to top notch programs in subsequent application rounds!