Stanford vs Berkeley ???

London

Hi Guys,

I was fortunate enough to get admitted to both Stanford (EE) and Berkeley (CS) PhD programs (with university fellowships).

It's REALLY hard to choose!

I know that Stanford is more 'entrepreneurial' - which is very important for me.

But from the other side, Berkeley is a wonderful institution as well with great academic merit.

Can you please tell me what are you thoughts regarding the pros and cons of each?

Thanks so much!

Hi Guys,

I was fortunate enough to get admitted to both Stanford (EE) and Berkeley (CS) PhD programs (with university fellowships).

It's REALLY hard to choose!

I know that Stanford is more 'entrepreneurial' - which is very important for me.

But from the other side, Berkeley is a wonderful institution as well with great academic merit.

Can you please tell me what are you thoughts regarding the pros and cons of each?

Thanks so much!

Both the schools have great reputations. I would visit, meet with profs you're interested in, and make your decision based on that.

Apparently not many people pass the Stanford EE exams. Plus, CS > EE, and Berkeley, CA is cheaper than Palo Alto, so go to Berkeley.

Go to berkeley, berkeley CS is much more prestigious than stanford ee. The only thing better than berkeley cs is stanford cs. any cs phd program in the bay area will give you opportunities to start something up. CS >>>>> EE in that regard. Once you're at Berkeley, you can choose to do CS or EE depending upon your interest.

It's easy for a CS student to find an EE advisor, the other way around is difficult. At Stanford, many EE students look to find CS advisors, few are successful (and those that are, are usually in fields which are closer to EE than CS). CS students in general are treated very very well...

http://ee.stanford.edu/phd/quals/stats.php Stanford EE quals stats. If you're good and think you're in the top half of the class, you'll pass the first year.

Go to berkeley, berkeley CS is much more prestigious than stanford ee. The only thing better than berkeley cs is stanford cs. any cs phd program in the bay area will give you opportunities to start something up. CS >>>>> EE in that regard. Once you're at Berkeley, you can choose to do CS or EE depending upon your interest.

It's easy for a CS student to find an EE advisor, the other way around is difficult. At Stanford, many EE students look to find CS advisors, few are successful (and those that are, are usually in fields which are closer to EE than CS). CS students in general are treated very very well...

http://ee.stanford.e...quals/stats.php Stanford EE quals stats. If you're good and think you're in the top half of the class, you'll pass the first year.

Hi Guys, thanks for your answers!

Do you agree with the tempProfileS guy?

Is it true true that EE is generally more prestigious in the bay area entrepreneurial/academia scene?

Is it true that 'berkeley CS is much more prestigious than stanford ee' ?