NYU Comparative Literature / Some stats

Hello to everyone!

I recently got accepted to comp lit at UCLA, Buffalo and STONY Brook. Got some excellent funding for UCLA as well.

Still waiting on New School of Social Research, Cornell, and NYU. It seems Cornell is only dishing out rejections at this point; but that's all good since there was really only one person I wanted to work with there (Bosteels), and I already had my share of Ithaca (I graduated as an UG from Cornell; philosophy major). If I happen to be wrong about this I wouldn't mind being corrected, though. The NSSR is probably a little slow in their decision making process; but i'm not all that optimistic about their funding.

However, it is NYU that truly intrigues me. It's probably my top choice, and I have yet to hear anything from them. I keep hearing about these phone interviews, and some e-mail rejections. So, the obvious question: is there any chance for admission at this point? I don't really know how they work with waitlisted applicants, but does anyone know when we would find out about the final decision on those? I guess i'm just skeptical at this point, since I keep reading about these unsettling phone calls which I have yet to experience. Could it have to do with the fact I am currently living in Peru? Do they always notify rejections via e-mail first, or is it possible a rejection is under way via postal service without some sort of notification?

Thanks guys, and good luck to everyone!

Daniel

Edited by krelianx

Congrats' on UCLA, Stony Brook and Buffalo. That's great. Like you, I've been accepted into a few schools (Penn State, UNC Chapel Hill, and CU Boulder) and am still waiting on word from NYU. I know that two weeks ago one person was admitted, but since then I haven't heard anything. I didn't know that in comp. lit. people had been interviewed. If that's true, then my guess is that at this point those of us who haven't been interviewed will not be accepted. But here's hoping for some early March acceptance notifications!

Cheers.

Congrats' on UCLA, Stony Brook and Buffalo. That's great. Like you, I've been accepted into a few schools (Penn State, UNC Chapel Hill, and CU Boulder) and am still waiting on word from NYU. I know that two weeks ago one person was admitted, but since then I haven't heard anything. I didn't know that in comp. lit. people had been interviewed. If that's true, then my guess is that at this point those of us who haven't been interviewed will not be accepted. But here's hoping for some early March acceptance notifications!

Cheers.

Thanks! Congratulations on your acceptances as well! At least we're on the safe side now. Did you get good funding? About the phonecalls: I read that Prof Basterra and Prof Hamilton were at the other end of the phone for some guy who was applying. A friend told me last year they didn't make any phone interviews, however, so i'm not sure about whether they always do those, or what determines whether they do or don't.

Congratulations on your acceptances! When did you hear about Stony Brook? I also applied there and my online status is still 'submitted - under review by the admissions committee'.

I haven't heard from NYU either...

Congratulations on your acceptances! When did you hear about Stony Brook? I also applied there and my online status is still 'submitted - under review by the admissions committee'.

I haven't heard from NYU either...

I got the acceptance letter on Feb 23rd but was contacted on Jan 31st via email saying they were very interested in my application and suggesting that I apply for a Turner scholarship. I didn't get the scholarship, however. NYU seems too quiet.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine got her acceptance to NYU today – to what I presume is a women's studies/sociology-related program, not lit, but perhaps this means humanities admissions in generally will start rolling out this week!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. I am also awaiting the New School's reply.

For me, I have heard nothing from NYU or Columbia - I feel this is a bad sign also, but wonder if they are holding a few back for final wailists? Like that's an option for us! Lise - Are you going to Boulder, or do you know? I am waitlisted, and live in Denver. Would be easy to go there but their funding really is just so-so, from what I can tell. Seems like you can get 9 credits waived and a stipend, but it;s not as strong as some other schools. Stony Brook is my top choice right now, but would really like to come off the wait for WashU in St. Louis and CU Boulder...

For me, I have heard nothing from NYU or Columbia - I feel this is a bad sign also, but wonder if they are holding a few back for final wailists? Like that's an option for us! Lise - Are you going to Boulder, or do you know? I am waitlisted, and live in Denver. Would be easy to go there but their funding really is just so-so, from what I can tell. Seems like you can get 9 credits waived and a stipend, but it;s not as strong as some other schools. Stony Brook is my top choice right now, but would really like to come off the wait for WashU in St. Louis and CU Boulder...

Are you looking at PhD programs? Were you invited to the NYU interview? I'm fairly sure that they emailed all of their finalists for the interview (which was 2 weeks ago), and will be drawing only from that pool. (It's pretty deep: about 30 people for 9-10 spots, so I would be surprised if NYU went through the entire interview pool).

I don't know Columbia, since I never applied there...but I think they've contacted their accepted students already. It is possible that they may hold back a few students on an official waitlist.

Are you looking at PhD programs? Were you invited to the NYU interview? I'm fairly sure that they emailed all of their finalists for the interview (which was 2 weeks ago), and will be drawing only from that pool. (It's pretty deep: about 30 people for 9-10 spots, so I would be surprised if NYU went through the entire interview pool).

I don't know Columbia, since I never applied there...but I think they've contacted their accepted students already. It is possible that they may hold back a few students on an official waitlist.

Sigh; so it's basically over, huh? I didn't know there was an interview in the final part of the process. I live in Peru anyway, so I couldn't have possibly attended.

Just to clear up some confusion: NYU *English* had an interview weekend. Comp Lit did not. Nevertheless I think all of the first round admissions have gone out already for Comp Lit. But because they didn't have an interview weekend, it still seems totally possible you'll be wait-listed. Who knows how all this stuff works! I certainly don't.

Edited by amormundi

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/12/2010 at 4:52 AM, craigjohnston said:

hey did any of you guys get accepted for Comp Lit PhD at CU?

I am really interested in the course they offer (they have a great East Asian Lit department) but haven't actually spoke to anyone doing it yet...

any help??

Cheers,

Craig

Hey Craig I actually spoke with a professor there with a Japanese last name - I can't recall it right now; she was very articulate and engaging.

I was accepted at CU but I decided upon Stony Brook instead. You might try contacting the faculty and asking them to put you in touch with a current student in the program.