Should I finish my application to my alma mater even though I know I won't attend?

sparrow13

Question

I have already been accepted to two History MA programs (my top choices!) with great funding offers. I was planning on applying to the university where I am receiving my undergraduates degree but now I know that I don't want to go here for graduate school even if I am accepted because I have already been accepted with funding to places I like better. However, one of my professors who wrote my recommendations and served as sort of a mentor throughout the application process seems to really want me to apply to her program. Even when I hinted to her that I had already gotten into my top choice with full funding she continued to stress the deadlines to her program. I think that she may be one of the professors who reviews applications so she would probably know if I didn't turn it in. 

The deadline is in two days and I haven't worked on tailoring my personal statement for it yet. I have two midterms this week so I don't feel like I have time to work on the application and I don't really feel like paying a $70 fee to apply somewhere that I know I won't attend. However I am afraid that if I just don't finish the application my professor might feel offended and I would like to preserve my relationship with her. What should I do?

Edited by sparrow13

2 answers to this question

I totally understand not wanting to offend your professor, but if you absolutely do not want to attend the program at your current institution because you already know you've been accepted to a place you would rather attend, I do not think you should worry about getting this application to your current institution in. It would be a waste of your money and time, and I am sure that if you tell this professor that you've been accepted to your top choices with funding (rather than just hint at this), she will understand completely. Thank her for all her help in the application process too. I think most professors understand taking the offer you dreamed of, so I really doubt doing this will ruin your relationship with her.