Yale Applied Physics

Raffy

Hi there!

I am a French student, on my way toward a PhD in the USA. I have been admitted to Yale in Applied Physics (PEB program), and that's really great.

But I'd like to know a bit more, from the inside, about Yale's scientific "spirit". The thing is, I'm rather on the engineering side, I like the idea of developing new technologies, working with companies, and I'm not sure this is really what I am going to find at Yale. It's seems to me there is rather fundamental and academic research (of course, Yale is not Caltech or UC...).

I may be wrong, and that's why I am asking. What do you know about entrepreneurship at Yale? Are there some startups over there? What's the amount of patents? Finally, what's your point of view about Yale and technological innovation?

Thanks a lot! :D

Raphael

PS: If there is any French around, do you have some tips about the best route from Paris to New Haven? Thanks!

Hi there!

I am a French student, on my way toward a PhD in the USA. I have been admitted to Yale in Applied Physics (PEB program), and that's really great.

But I'd like to know a bit more, from the inside, about Yale's scientific "spirit". The thing is, I'm rather on the engineering side, I like the idea of developing new technologies, working with companies, and I'm not sure this is really what I am going to find at Yale. It's seems to me there is rather fundamental and academic research (of course, Yale is not Caltech or UC...).

I may be wrong, and that's why I am asking. What do you know about entrepreneurship at Yale? Are there some startups over there? What's the amount of patents? Finally, what's your point of view about Yale and technological innovation?

Thanks a lot! :D

Raphael

PS: If there is any French around, do you have some tips about the best route from Paris to New Haven? Thanks!

Yale is a major research university with a great reputation and plenty of innovation in the hard sciences. True, they're not really regarded as an engineering school (neither is Harvard), but honestly they're among the top physics programs in the United States.. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have other offers from more techy schools. I don't have the specifics you are asking for, but you shouldn't have any doubts about the quality of the program.

.. and I'd recommend using the airplane. :)

Ok, prolixity, it's pretty clear! Thanks :)

For the moment, I don't really have other options in the US, but we have a couple a decent schools in France too. wink.gif I am still waiting for other offers, but as the days pass, I am less and less hopeful...

Anyone, any other opinion about my question?

.. and I'd recommend using the airplane. :)

Plane seems indeed a good idea. I'm not such a good swimmer.