figurefive

29 members have voted

1. 1. Where should I go?

• Berkeley
    • Columbia
    • Michigan
    • Northwestern

Hi all,

Although I've got 2 programs that I'm still waiting to hear back from, I'm reasonably confident that I will be deciding between four excellent options for the fall. Given that I'm relatively uninformed about the landscape as I've been working for the past few years outside of academia, I was hoping to leverage all y'all for some insights on the choice between these options. I've outlined the relative pro's and con's as I've started to weigh them; is there anything else that I should be thinking about? Do you disagree or agree with my understanding? I would love if you could also share a bit of your background in your response in terms of your familiarity with the field and/or these programs.

As a matter of context: I'm planning to study 19th and early 20th-century U.S. social and cultural history, with potential focus on Asian American history, the American West, urban history, and/or public history. I did American studies in undergrad as well and would love to continue to touch other fields, especially visual culture / art history. My partner has indicated that he is open to relocating to wherever I go, so I do have to keep in mind job and life prospects for him as well. I'm starting the process of visiting campuses and talking with professors: you might be able to tell that I'm more familiar with some of these programs than others at this point, but I plan to give each a thorough vetting.

Berkeley

• Pro: Top-ranked history program with strong resources in ethnic studies and American art history; two-course load allows for more independent research and work time; flexible academic and advising philosophy (i.e., not tied to a single advisor upon arrival); beautiful California weather; family would be closeby
  • Con: Financial risks given state financial crisis; students have mentioned that there aren't enough thematic seminars

Columbia
    • Pro: Top-10 history program; good overlap with a number of professors; strong funding package (best of the four); location in NY with its amazing cultural resources; has been uber-proactive in getting to know me (e.g., phone calls from 2 potential advisors, meeting with one of them while she's in town for the weekend)
    • Con: High cost of living in NY; I've heard (thru the grapevine from undergrad advisors) that grad students at CU are "miserable"

Michigan
      • Pro: Top-10 history program; active interdisciplinary programs with APIA studies and American culture; good overlap with a number of professors working in areas of interest
      • Con: Ann Arbor, though a beautiful and charming college town, offers little potential for my partner

Northwestern

Pro: Active (but nascent) Asian American studies program; lots of folks active in urban historyCon: When I spoke with a grad student from another program, she urged me to drop NU almost immediately because it is "not in the top ten"; similar to Ann Arbor, offers little for my partner (though we could live in Chicago and I could commute to NU); looks like there are more folks working in the 20th than 19th and 18th centuries, which are more aligned to my interests

Hi,

I've also heard how miserable graduate students are at Columbia, from both graduate students (not outright, but I sure as heck picked up on it) and from administrators, when I spent last summer in residence.

Anyway, my vote is Berkeley. I'd like to think the university/department would seek alternative methods than not be able to give you what they say they will. But, I guess, you never know.

Best of luck!

Hi,

I've also heard how miserable graduate students are at Columbia, from both graduate students (not outright, but I sure as heck picked up on it) and from administrators, when I spent last summer in residence.

Anyway, my vote is Berkeley. I'd like to think the university/department would seek alternative methods than not be able to give you what they say they will. But, I guess, you never know.

Best of luck!

From what you've written, it seems like Berkeley is the best place. Berkeley does have private funding independent from the state budget, and it seems to be the school with the least amounts of cons apart from that.

Berkeley

• Pro: Top-ranked history program with strong resources in ethnic studies and American art history; two-course load allows for more independent research and work time; flexible academic and advising philosophy (i.e., not tied to a single advisor upon arrival); beautiful California weather; family would be closeby
  • Con: Financial risks given state financial crisis; students have mentioned that there aren't enough thematic seminars

Can I ask what you mean by "not enough thematic seminars?" Berkeley's actually have to choose between Berkeley and UCSD, and any info would be helpful.

From what you've written, it seems like Berkeley is the best place. Berkeley does have private funding independent from the state budget, and it seems to be the school with the least amounts of cons apart from that.

Can I ask what you mean by "not enough thematic seminars?" Berkeley's actually have to choose between Berkeley and UCSD, and any info would be helpful.

I don't know if Columbia HISTORY students are quite unhappy, but the Columbia Sociology students I've talked to seem quite happy and quite high on the program and the school as a graduate institution. You should definitely try to visit and try to email/talk to current students.

As for Northwestern, you should really think of Evanston as part of Chicago. It's even on the El (the Chicago Subway system). It's actually much easier to get from Evanston downtown than it is to go there from the University of Chicago.

As for funding, check it out in terms of cost of living Michigan's offer is probably more competitive than it seems (possibly unless you have large undergraduate debt) and Berkeley's less. Again, visit, talk to the current students if you can, because they'll have the best idea about living on the stipend. Ask them about time to degree, ask them about politics, about them about placements, ask them about competition, ask them what the biggest complaints they hear, ask them about summer funding, ask them about people who don't finish the program, ask them about qualifying exams, ask them about a lot of things. Particularly try to talk to people who work on similar subject for some of those, but ask widely (like biggest complaints) about others. Most departments have department politics (grad students should admit this), but hopefully they will also reassure you that they don't actually interfere in the lives of graduate students (I was told recently "Oh yeah, I know kids who work with two people who *hate* each other, but he works fine with both of them.") Ask about funding beyond their initial offers (at Michigan and Berkeley it will definitely take more than five years to get your degree--ask how that's funded).

Edited by jacib

American in Biejing, I'll send you a PM.