Who received UCLA cognitive psychology official letter ?

neils

I can't speak for cognitive psych, but I got a letter detailing the funding package from the developmental area the day I found out I was admitted. This was in mid-February, and so I think all letters should have gone out for all areas by now if you were admitted. 

On 3/19/2018 at 12:04 PM, neils said:

Is there anyone who received UCLA cognitive psychology official letter (email) ?

Have the school sent out official acceptance letters (email) for F18 Ph.D. ?

UCLA Cognitive is still interviewing prospectives, so that may be why you have not received anything yet.

In virtually all graduate Psychology programs - at all universities - the areas all function rather independently so I'm not sure how one would assume that one area sending out offers would mean another has as well...

Edited by shiningorb

1 hour ago, shiningorb said:

UCLA Cognitive is still interviewing prospectives, so that may be why you have not received anything yet.

In virtually all graduate Psychology programs - at all universities - the areas all function rather independently so I'm not sure how one would assume that one area sending out offers would mean another has as well...

Thank you for clarifying and for your insight. My assumption was based on the posted interview dates on UCLA's website (2/16-2/17): https://www.psych.ucla.edu/graduate/prospective-students/application-instructions, and the assumption that UCLA cognitive area follows the norm of having a formal interview day, followed by a round of offers. This situation seems likely, as one person posted on the results section that he/she was admitted to UCLA's cognitive area.

You are correct in saying that the areas typically function independently, hence my disclaimer that I cannot speak for cognitive psych. Moreover, in response to the OP 's question, my disclaimer was specifically targeted at the fact that I received the official letter the same day I received an informal offer. I also intended to say that if you were admitted, you probably should have received the official letter. I am not implying that all offers have gone out. 

I will say there is an error on my part for making it seem like all offers have gone out for all areas. According to the website, the quantitative area schedules interviews individually with applicants. Hence, the date in which you could receive an offer is less clear, and it is very likely that quantitative applicants are still receiving interviews. The OP is asking about the cognitive area, which seems to follow the typical trend: formal interview date, followed by a decision. If UCLA follows the norm, it is assumed that if you did not receive an invite to the interview day that an interview offer after the official date is less likely, although not impossible. One would not know whether UCLA is still extending interview offers for the cognitive area unless someone, such as yourself, shares the information on this forum or receives it from an internal source. And that's the beauty of this forum--one person's information may not be accurate based on their limited knowledge and experience, but another person can clarify and provide new insight into the question at hand. 

Edited by ilikepsych

20 hours ago, shiningorb said:

How do you know they are still interviewing prospectives ? Are you insider ?

Do you mean that one area would release offers only if all selection jobs were done within this area ?

I’m not lying if that’s what you’re asking. And I said that may be why you haven’t received anything. Not that it definitively is. I’m afraid I don’t have much information for you apart from that they are in fact still interviewing. 

On 3/22/2018 at 10:59 PM, shiningorb said:

I’m not lying if that’s what you’re asking. And I said that may be why you haven’t received anything. Not that it definitively is. I’m afraid I don’t have much information for you apart from that they are in fact still interviewing. 

How UCLA's psychology department review applicants ?  by a fixed faculty representative group or by POI individually ? 

On 3/30/2018 at 12:47 AM, shiningorb said:

All the faculty for each area make the decision together!

How many people are admitted to UCLA's reasoning lab (2018) ? I remember that number is zero for 2017.

Edited by neils