Listing Types of Publications (and in progress?) on CV

Does anyone have advice about the best ways to list and identify different types of publications, as well as those in progress on a CV? Would love to see examples of how others list publications. 

Specifically, I have one article that has gone through peer review and for which I have submitted edits, but has not yet been published. Should I list this as "forthcoming?"
I also have a proposal that's been accepted for a special edition of a journal, but for which I've not yet submitted the full article. Should I leave this off until its at least under peer review?
Finally, I wrote an article for a semi-academic/semi-popular blog (non-peer reviewed). Should I bother putting this on my CV, and how should I identify it?

I know this probably differs by discipline; I'm in the humanities.

Edited by LanAMD

You could list:

• Manuscript
  • Submitted
  • In revisions 
  • Accepted/Forthcoming
  • In press 

I would not list anything that doesn't exist and which you wouldn't share with someone if asked (so, no proposals for papers you haven't written yet, even if the proposal is accepted). My ms are existing full papers that haven't found a home yet. I list the former three under "manuscripts" since they're not yet accepted, and the latter two along with my papers that are already out under "peer-reviewed publications", since they're officially accepted and it's just a matter of having them in print (which in my field can sometimes take a few years!). I list my conference proceedings under "non-peer reviewed publications", and that would be a place for that other paper you describe. Whether you want to list it is up to you, and you may have a different answer now than, say, five years from now. 

The main thing to make sure of is that it's clear which listings on your CV are accepted/published peer-reviewed publications and which are not. Some people think they're beefing up their CV by listing manuscripts and non-peer review pubs together with their actual accepted papers all in one list, but I think it detracts. Everyone knows exactly how to evaluate a manuscript in prep vs a published paper, so they're not fooling anyone, just making their actual pubs harder to find. 

4 hours ago, LanAMD said:

Does anyone have advice about the best ways to list and identify different types of publications, as well as those in progress on a CV? Would love to see examples of how others list publications. 

As you suspect, it differs a little by discipline. In the humanities, though, it's pretty standard to list books (including edited volumes; occasionally separated out if there are lots of one kind or another), articles, book chapters, then conference proceedings. As you accumulate publications, the separation will matter more. For examples, just check the CVs of other people in your field. 

Specifically, I have one article that has gone through peer review and for which I have submitted edits, but has not yet been published. Should I list this as "forthcoming?"

Has it been accepted? If it has, then yes. If it hasn't, then no: it's still in progress.

I also have a proposal that's been accepted for a special edition of a journal, but for which I've not yet submitted the full article. Should I leave this off until its at least under peer review?

For most purposes, you should leave this off your CV until the paper has been accepted. If you have an "in progress" section, then it can go there. Note, however, that putting a section for works in progress on your CV is often considered padding, especially if you don't have many actual publications yet (although some granting agencies do ask you to list them when you apply for the grant). It can be listed as in progress on your website, though.

Finally, I wrote an article for a semi-academic/semi-popular blog (non-peer reviewed). Should I bother putting this on my CV, and how should I identify it?

Depends on the discipline, and on how common that kind of engagement is. You could list it under a heading like "popular" or "outreach" or something. Just make sure that if it's on your CV, it's clear you don't think of it as a publication on a par with journal articles.