No response after I said yes!

twinklietoes

Long time reader, first time poster. This site has been helpful over the past year or so as I have worked through my PhD application process, so thank you all for posting and sharing!  I can't find an answer to my current predicament, so now I am coming out of the shadows. 

I sent an email to my future advisor early last week to let them know I will be accepting their PhD offer. I sent a followup email yesterday just to ensure they received my message. I still have not heard back which is very uncharacteristic of this person based on my previous interactions and their reputation. I feel like the topic of my email is important enough to merit a quick, "Great news! Very busy at the moment, but I will be in touch soon." So now my mind is going into worst case scenario mode.

On Monday I know I need to call someone at the university to keep my sanity, but I am not sure who.  My first instinct is to call the advisor, but I also don't want to push too much because I already emailed a couple times.  I could also call the graduate coordinator with whom I have been in touch to see if I can get more information about whether my advisor is sick or traveling. Another option would be to contact one of the advisor's graduate students that I know.

Anyone have thoughts or advice? Did this happen to you and if so how did things resolve?

Edited by twinklietoes

If you followed up yesterday, you should to wait beyond Monday to call. You could talk to a grad student you know off the record, though I'm not exactly sure what you'd ask them (or for that matter a random person at the program). FWIW, it's spring break in many places, so that might be a factor.