So you got into Columbia...now what?

annie a

I got my Columbia financial aid package by email this evening. It's better than NYU, but pretty much as expected. Anyone else hear back from them?

Ugh. Yes, I got mine. Very disappointing as expected. Can I ask, what did you get in scholarships?

I think I might be pretty crazy for considering this debt!

Ugh. Yes, I got mine. Very disappointing as expected. Can I ask, what did you get in scholarships?

I think I might be pretty crazy for considering this debt!

I got $7k in scholarships. Definitely glad to be going to the UK where higher education is much more affordable! Are you any closer to making a decision? I know you were on the fence about whether the degree is worth that much money.

I'm still waiting to hear back on financial aid. I had a nightmare the other night that Columbia was giving me $211 in aid and I would be getting $59 each year in grants and scholarships from outside sources (random numbers, for sure). As hilarious as it may sound, I really hope that it doesn't come true!

I've decided to bite the bullet and just go to Columbia. I received my financial info a few days ago and it was pretty paltry, as expected, but I just can't pass up the opportunity to attend this amazing program. Nowhere else I applied to had anything as unique as the international/immigrants and refugees concentration, which really complements my experience and interests, and I knew I would regret it if I went somewhere else.

However, I totally understand all of you who are reluctant to choose (or even consider) CUSSW. It is a really tough decision, especially with the [truly ridiculous] financial aid. I'm sure that everyone will make the best decision for him/herself.

If anyone's going to the admitted students day next Saturday, see you there!

I've decided to bite the bullet and just go to Columbia. I received my financial info a few days ago and it was pretty paltry, as expected, but I just can't pass up the opportunity to attend this amazing program. Nowhere else I applied to had anything as unique as the international/immigrants and refugees concentration, which really complements my experience and interests, and I knew I would regret it if I went somewhere else.

However, I totally understand all of you who are reluctant to choose (or even consider) CUSSW. It is a really tough decision, especially with the [truly ridiculous] financial aid. I'm sure that everyone will make the best decision for him/herself.

If anyone's going to the admitted students day next Saturday, see you there!

Congrats on your decision! I feel the same way about the immigrants and refugees concentration. It's right up my alley! This is the reason why I'm really excited about the Columbia program, despite the financial aspect.

I really wanted to fly to NYC to come the admitted students day, but my work schedule won't allow me to do so. I'm just going to go to the local student event they're having here in LA. Please post about you learn at the event! I really wish I can be there.

Congrats on your decision! I feel the same way about the immigrants and refugees concentration. It's right up my alley! This is the reason why I'm really excited about the Columbia program, despite the financial aspect.

I really wanted to fly to NYC to come the admitted students day, but my work schedule won't allow me to do so. I'm just going to go to the local student event they're having here in LA. Please post about you learn at the event! I really wish I can be there.

I suppose the international concentration is a big draw for many students as it would be the only reason I would consider going into debt for Columbia. But they do only let a handful of students in to the program each have had considerable overseas experience so that is something to keep in mind.

I am still hoping to talk with a couple of students/grads to make my final decision - I am still torn between a program that I know I will enjoy and loads of debt! I suppose if I was planning to go the clinical route without this specialized focus then, no, I would not be considering the financial investment into Columbia.

Well, I received my financial aid package today, finally. A grim $4500. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. Even the federal loans I'm getting won't cover the complete costs. I know I should be grateful but I feel like I've been swindled out of a great opportunity.

Well, I received my financial aid package today, finally. A grim $4500. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. Even the federal loans I'm getting won't cover the complete costs. I know I should be grateful but I feel like I've been swindled out of a great opportunity.

Sorry to hear that :(. Did they also offer you work study and the SW alternative loans?

Sorry to hear that :(. Did they also offer you work study and the SW alternative loans?

No, they didn't offer me work study, which is so disappointing. I'm hoping to talk to the financial aid office one of these days when I'm not working and see if they can change their minds about that.

Yes, the SW alternative loans definitely covers the rest of the cost. However, I'm not too clear on what they are. I noticed that near the end of the aid letter, it says this about "alternative eligibility": "This figure represents your alternative eligibility or remaining need. Remaining need is the difference between your total cost of attendance (tuition, fees, books, transportation, living and personal expenses) and your awarded financial aid. You may choose to explore other financial aid options, such as outside awards or a supplemental loan in addition to the Federal Direct Loan you may have been awarded. You may choose between a fixed interest rate Federal Direct PLUS loan and a variable interest rate private educational loan. Students are responsible for the interest charges during periods of enrollment or deferment but may be able to defer the payment of interest until full loan repayment begins. Please note that the terms and conditions of federal student loans or assistance may be more beneficial than the terms and conditions of private education loans."

Does that mean that the category isn't loans they are offering me but only the "remaining need" that I have?

No, they didn't offer me work study, which is so disappointing. I'm hoping to talk to the financial aid office one of these days when I'm not working and see if they can change their minds about that.

Yes, the SW alternative loans definitely covers the rest of the cost. However, I'm not too clear on what they are. I noticed that near the end of the aid letter, it says this about "alternative eligibility": "This figure represents your alternative eligibility or remaining need. Remaining need is the difference between your total cost of attendance (tuition, fees, books, transportation, living and personal expenses) and your awarded financial aid. You may choose to explore other financial aid options, such as outside awards or a supplemental loan in addition to the Federal Direct Loan you may have been awarded. You may choose between a fixed interest rate Federal Direct PLUS loan and a variable interest rate private educational loan. Students are responsible for the interest charges during periods of enrollment or deferment but may be able to defer the payment of interest until full loan repayment begins. Please note that the terms and conditions of federal student loans or assistance may be more beneficial than the terms and conditions of private education loans."

Does that mean that the category isn't loans they are offering me but only the "remaining need" that I have?

I think work study is need based according to income you listed on the FAFSA so I don't think the school has the power to change that, but I could be totally wrong. I'm pretty sure everyone is eligible for Federal Direct PLUS loans to cover the remainder of their expenses but unfortunately they carry an incredibly high interest rate at 8.5%. Sorry you're having such a hard time with all of this :(. Good luck getting it sorted out!

I think work study is need based according to income you listed on the FAFSA so I don't think the school has the power to change that, but I could be totally wrong. I'm pretty sure everyone is eligible for Federal Direct PLUS loans to cover the remainder of their expenses but unfortunately they carry an incredibly high interest rate at 8.5%. Sorry you're having such a hard time with all of this :(. Good luck getting it sorted out!

Hi,

I am in the exact same situation. I am wondering, who else is and what are the most viable options?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Well - I lobbied the heck out of them and got the max scholarship of $8000 which helps and will be hearing about the further availability of work study funds in May. But even still, I'm still not sure I want to make this sacrifice!

On one hand much of the program is just right for me - they now have what's called an accelerated policy program where your field placement is slightly cut down (you are in the field 2.5 days a week) and you take an additional class each semester first year, which frees you up to take other classes year two, inter-departmentally. There are classes through SIPA I'd love to take - as well as through the public health and journalism schools.

But the DEBT! I did put down a deposit (which goes toward tuition, of course) but if something better comes up (like an amazing job!) I may bite the bullet and kiss that $400 goodbye. It's a gamble, but one in the end that I felt was worthwhile as I've been living overseas for the past three-years and have few job connections in the US and will be moving back in July. So...it least I have something lined up...albeit a very expensive "something!"

Anyone else?

And Congrats again TerriM about Oxford. That sounds like a wonderful, affordable opportunity!

Edited by annie a

Hi,

Well - I lobbied the heck out of them and got the max scholarship of $8000 which helps and will be hearing about the further availability of work study funds in May. But even still, I'm still not sure I want to make this sacrifice!

On one hand much of the program is just right for me - they now have what's called an accelerated policy program where your field placement is slightly cut down (you are in the field 2.5 days a week) and you take an additional class each semester first year, which frees you up to take other classes year two, inter-departmentally. There are classes through SIPA I'd love to take - as well as through the public health and journalism schools.

But the DEBT! I did put down a deposit (which goes toward tuition, of course) but if something better comes up (like an amazing job!) I may bite the bullet and kiss that $400 goodbye. It's a gamble, but one in the end that I felt was worthwhile as I've been living overseas for the past three-years and have few job connections in the US and will be moving back in July. So...it least I have something lined up...albeit a very expensive "something!"

Anyone else?

And Congrats again TerriM about Oxford. That sounds like a wonderful, affordable opportunity!

NICE! I was motivated by your success to talk to the financial aid office as well. They've increased my scholarship from $4500 to $6000. It's better, but I'm not sure if it's good enough. They've also put me on the waiting list for work study, which I seriously hope can go through. If it does, it will be a tremendous help.

Initially, despite the low scholarship, I was pretty sure I could manage the debt through the savings I am accumulating through my job. However, a new living wage ordinance passed and now my employer pays me $3.30 less per hour in exchange for overpriced insurance. I really don't feel as confident anymore about going into debt.

My father says that he's more than willing to help me with the tuition, but that will be a last last resort for me. I really don't want my parents to give nor loan me money that I'm sure they will need.

I went to the Admitted Students Day here in L.A., which was not as helpful as I wish it was. However, the alumni I met seemed more than willing to help and give advice, indeed, some of the more recent graduates are actually working jobs that they found through networking with the older ones. Overall, it seems like Columbia is helpful in getting an extra boost in the job search and in my case, if I decide to apply for a PhD program.

I think that either way, I'm leaning towards just sucking it up and going. My job is becoming less and less enjoyable and I don't have anything else lined up right now. I've been on the job hunt for the past 9 months and I haven't been able to find anything better. Unless my job conditions miraculously improve or I land a great scholarship/grant, then I may wind up deferring for a semester/year or so just to save up some more. I'm willing to make some kind of sacrifice to attend a program that I feel like is a good fit, I just wish something will happen that will make me feel more confident about taking on such a debt.

Thanks for the congrats :). Moving to the UK in just a few weeks...eek!

I hope Columbia throws lots and lots of money at you in the next few weeks, or at the very least gives you both work study. I'm definitely still considering Columbia for my PhD so I may be contacting you when the time comes to see how you're enjoying the program. Good luck! :)

I'm very curious to know if you guys decided to attend Columbia or not. Hope you're all a bit closer to making your decisions!

I am for sure going to Columbia for my MSW [macro] with a Minor in International Welfare. I also got invited to a pilot policy practice program. Did anyone get invited/considering that?

I am for sure going to Columbia for my MSW [macro] with a Minor in International Welfare. I also got invited to a pilot policy practice program. Did anyone get invited/considering that?

Hi there!

Yes, indeed am considering the policy pilot program...I am planning to do the International Welfare track (have been working overseas in advocacy work for the past three years) and minor in law. This program sounds great as it frees you up to take more classes inter-departmentally during your last year, such as through SIPA which, from what I have heard, is where the really interesting classes are (if you are interested in international issues.)

I put my $400 deposit down but may be now have a job opportunity with IRC that would be difficult to pass up! This is a tough decision though because the job is in a tiny, hole-in-the-wall town on the Thai-Burma border and it's hard to pass the excitement of NYC up for that!

Are you planning to take out the Grad PLUS loans or did you find alternate funding?

Good luck to you!