Prestige of undergrad school?

Maybe some current grad students can help me out with this line of speculation. I got my B.S. in bioengineering from a small state school that isn't well-recognized nationally. I had a 3.76 GPA, which I always considered to be not too shabby, until I applied to grad school. The rule of thumb I had always heard was that anything above a 3.5 is fine, but higher is better. Now I worry that my 3.76 from Nowhere State isn't comparing well to similar GPAs from Stanford and MIT. Do you think the perceived prestige/difficulty of your undergraduate school matters in graduate admissions?

Not that I can really do anything about my GPA now...just curious to see what others think.

Since most schools grade on a curve, prestige does play some role since it indicates what kind of students you were up against. But a 3.76 from anywhere is great and I'm sure that isn't going to count against you. One thing I seem to be hearing from schools is that it has far less to do with numbers (except maybe as a filtering method) and more to do with how your interests and abilities fit into their department, or a specific professor. So it's really a crap shoot.

I have a 2.9 and I got into Cornell, so I think that's not a deal breaker for most schools. *Shrug* I think as long as the rest of your app is strong, you fit a faculty member and that member has money for you, being from a small uni isn't a big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it does, but not in the "name brand" way that you are implying.

I got a 3.6 from a top 20 school. But I think the most important thing was that my school offered me a lot of opportunities to do research with really excellent PIs. In my mind, that access to good researchers is what helped out the most, not the "school name" + "3.6" statistic.

I'm in the same boat as you- small state school of "unknown" :wink: prestige. Just to ease your mind (and stroke my ego) I have had no trouble getting in to top schools (ranked 1-5) with very nice funding packages. I'm guessing that my well-defined research interests and experience really helped (as did the near-4.0 GPA and very good GRE, if I say so myself).

But my point is we can make it to the big leagues, too! Best of luck, us state schoolers have to stick together.

The prestige of your undergrad institution is going to be noticed. Some schools weight it more heavily than others. However, if you are trying to show that you belong at a top 10 institution, I think you would want to show that you easily outclass your peers at your current institution. I come from a nowhere state school that is absolutely unheard of, but I got a near 4.0 gpa, good test scores, and publications and now I have fellowship offers from top 5 universities. If you are really aiming for the top, I think you need to have an excellent application all around. A gpa of 3.7 look OK at a top program, but less and less OK at less prestigious programs.

This is what I got from a person who served on an admissions comittee:

Each school has a fixed scale that measures their applicant pool. Their is a scale for GPA, a scale for GRE, a scale for prior research, a scale for interests and believe it or not a scale for the prestige of your undergraduate school. Based on this scale, each applicant is given a score. If your GPA stinks, you get a lower number on the GPA scoreboard, but if you happened to graduate from an elite school, you get a higher score on your ' prestige school' . These scores are all added up to get a total score. Then starts the ranking.

I thought the process was completely random, but this does make sense to me in some way. It sounded random, but fair. you could cram all you want and get a perfect GRE, but if your GPA stinks, ha u just got served!

i want the gamble to end.