Teachers College PhD funding

Anthro14

Hey, just wondering if anyone knows whether TC fully funds PhD students at all for a certain amt of years? OR do we have to get all of our funding from outside scholarships, grants, and fellowships? Having trouble finding specific, straight forward info on the website. THANKS!

Hey, just wondering if anyone knows whether TC fully funds PhD students at all for a certain amt of years? OR do we have to get all of our funding from outside scholarships, grants, and fellowships? Having trouble finding specific, straight forward info on the website. THANKS!

TC does not fully fund PhDs for a certain number of years. You get financial aid from the TC fin aid office (must complete the scholarship application online) and/or from your department. The department I was accepted to offered me a one year tuition fellowship + $5k stipend. Not a whole lot of income, but it's much better than someone I read on this board a while back who said they were offered no funding from TC whatsoever. I probably don't qualify for need-based aid, but haven't received anything from the actual TC fin aid office yet. After the first year of funding is up, most students in my potential future department take jobs at TC that offer tuition credits as part of the compensation. People also look for external funding, or profs with grants to work with. All in all, the message I'm getting is that working out funding is much more difficult than some other schools, but often doable.

Edited by amelapay

....The department I was accepted to offered me a one year tuition fellowship + $5k stipend. Not a whole lot of income, but it's much better than someone...

Congratulations amelapay!

I wish I hear some offer from my department like that (Math, Science and Technology). Right now I just heard from the admission office offering the spot in the doctoral program (no fund info). They told me later, when asked, that the financial aid information is forthcoming. In fact, a professor that interviewed me said the same thing that about funding, after the first year, many students have to get away with having jobs or other grants within the school. Is that why, students demographic indicates only 33% is full-time and 67% is part-time?

Good luck!