Religion PhD - Results Page

sarah4153

Thanks for the response Revolage,

I am interested in the same topics and am hoping to work in the same general area. In fact, I suggested an analysis of Barth's rejection of natural theology (primarly in comparision with the Anselmian conception) as my key research topic.

Perhaps that's part of the problem. I had contacted a number of Barth scholars to see if they'd be interested in supervising that topic and I think that most probably aren't too concered with that abstracted issue.

So, like you, my key interests are in natural theology and religious epistemology. In addition I'm interested in the divine attributes. (Again I'm pretty Anselmian in my perspective and I know that's not too popular outside of places like ND philosophy.)

Perhaps at some point we can compare notes. I'd be interested to see/hear about what sort of work you end up doing at BU or wherever you go.

Incidentally, Wildman told me that the analytic approach to religion is a valid approach but there are "few if any" who would support such work at BU. He suggested that a confessional school would be better. Although I did not advertise that I'm an evangelical I think he suspected that that was the case and was trying to lead me to Fuller, Trinity, or Dallas. Unfortunately, I don't think one can get an adequate level of interaction with first rate philosophers at those places. So that's a problem.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone heard from UCSB? Or UVA?

I haven't heard anything from UCSB since January 16th when the graduate secretary e-mailed me saying that one of my recommenders hadn't submitted and the committee was going to begin reviewing my application soon. My advisor, who went to UCSB, said that mid-March is probably a good guess -- so last year's dates look like a good indicator of when we might be getting word, so possibly next week, I guess.

I have dilemma. I've been accepted to a "lower tier" school, but one that has a unique program in my area of interest and several significant professors in that area. I'm also effectively "waitlisted" at a "higher tier" school, but one that doesn't really have anyone specifically working in my area (though they are open to my project). But the "higher tier" school has told me it will be the middle of April until they know whether or not there's a slot for me. I don't know if I want to keep the "lower tier" school (or my family!) waiting that long. Sorry to be so cryptic about all this. Anyone have any thoughts?

I have dilemma. I've been accepted to a "lower tier" school, but one that has a unique program in my area of interest and several significant professors in that area. I'm also effectively "waitlisted" at a "higher tier" school, but one that doesn't really have anyone specifically working in my area (though they are open to my project). But the "higher tier" school has told me it will be the middle of April until they know whether or not there's a slot for me. I don't know if I want to keep the "lower tier" school (or my family!) waiting that long. Sorry to be so cryptic about all this. Anyone have any thoughts?

Ask the lower tier school about recent placements in your area. I think most people understand that "lower tier" schools can and are often much more appropriate for certain niches. The whole tier thing is an overall perspective, not a granular judgment of each aspect of a program.

Perhaps the best thing you can do is contact the school that accepted you and ask whether they can put you in contact with people in your area who have recently graduated. Then talk to those people and ask them about the job market and how well the program prepared them. If they can't tell you nobody can help and you'll just have to guess.

Ask the lower tier school about recent placements in your area.

Thanks for the advice. The problem is, one of the reasons the school is "lower tier" is because it's a young program. They are just now graduating their first class of PhDs, so there's no placement record. This is problematic, I know. Then again, there are Harvard PhDs who can't find jobs. Remind me: why are we applying to PhD programs in religion?

I recommend going to the school where there are faculty working in your area. (1) You will be able to dig deeper into the topic you wish to pursue. (2) Rankings do not matter as much as advisors. If you want to do good work in a speciality, go where someone knows the topic well. (3) You will get jobs based on your publications, not on your school. You will publish more if you work with people who know your area. (4) It is easier on your family, which I am finding out, is a major consideration.

Those are my thoughts at least. Good luck!

Regarding Marquette's Theology Department: I called the department and the grad school yesterday afternoon (3/7/2008). They said that, although the grad school has forwarded the applications to the Theology Department for evaluation, the Theology Department has not yet sent the applications back to the Grad School indicating who's been accepted/rejected. So, it seems like it will still be a few more days before official word is sent.

Regarding Marquette's Theology Department: I called the department and the grad school yesterday afternoon (3/7/2008). They said that, although the grad school has forwarded the applications to the Theology Department for evaluation, the Theology Department has not yet sent the applications back to the Grad School indicating who's been accepted/rejected. So, it seems like it will still be a few more days before official word is sent.

Thanks for checking in and letting us know what you found out. I appreciate you sharing the wealth. Hopefully, we'll know something in the next week.

I got an acceptance letter from Southern Methodist on Friday, with a five-year guaranteed fellowship worth full tuition and fees plus $10,000.

I've gotten formal rejections from Duke, Yale, and BC. I'm still waiting to hear from Chicago, Notre Dame, Emory, Virginia, and Fordham. I know a few people in my program who have been informed of their acceptance/rejection at Fordham and Emory for a couple of weeks, but I've heard nothing yet, and I'm not sure what that means.

Does anyone know much about the respectability of SMU's theology program? I'd be happy studying there if I don't have any other options, because between Bruce Marshall on the Trinity and Valerie Karras on Greek patristic theology, I'd have everything I need. I'm a bit worried about the fact that I rarely see the department come up in conversation, though. Would I be better off waiting out a year and applying again if I don't get into higher-ranked school (which isn't looking hopeful at this point)?

Stud. Theol.,

I believe you mentioned a professor sending you a paper about his interest in cultivating multiple religious identities, the Christian Hindu fellow. Could you possibly tell me which professor this was at Vanderbilt (if I remember correctly)? That could prove to be pretty similar to or have some intersections with what I do.

I'm not Stud. Theol., but I'm pretty sure he was talking about John Thatamanil (sp?).

Does anyone know much about the respectability of SMU's theology program? I'd be happy studying there if I don't have any other options, because between Bruce Marshall on the Trinity and Valerie Karras on Greek patristic theology, I'd have everything I need. I'm a bit worried about the fact that I rarely see the department come up in conversation, though. Would I be better off waiting out a year and applying again if I don't get into higher-ranked school (which isn't looking hopeful at this point)?

My understanding is that SMU is a solid school and well-respected. A 2006 PhD grad under Marshall (Sharon Baker) is now teaching at my alma mater, Messiah College. Baker is an excellent scholar. I don't see any other dissertations listed under either Marshall or Karras, but it looks like they just got to the school fairly recently (2001 and 2005), so they haven't had a chance to churn out the students yet.

If it were me, and it fit my interests and offered me the cash, I'd take it. You're going to have to prove yourself with teaching and publications anyway. After you start to prove yourself as a good scholar and educator, I don't think the fact that SMU is second tier will really make that big of a difference. But you obviously have to choose based on your own goals and interests.

sleepingdogmatist,

Yes, RA is right, it was John Thatanamil. If you have similar interests definitely contact him. He's very helpful. He corresponded with me at length despite the fact that he doubted I was a good fit.

As I said, I really don't think that rejecting something as evident and fundamental as the principle of identity is a viable way to develop a philosophically credible notion of religious identity but if you can work something there he'd be the guy to talk to.

Hello,

I have been able to narrow my choices down to Duke and UNC and just can't make up my mind. I'm being heavily recruited by both and will have to make my decision before I get to visit. In terms of rank, obviously Duke is higher ranked, but the profs I want to work with at UNC are also big names in my subfield. The funding packages are pretty much the same, and at the end of the day, I still get to take classes with profs at both schools and participate in activities in both schools as they are closely tied.

Which school would you choose and why?

Re: UVA, a previous poster said they emailed Sara Adams and inquired about admissions status and were told they had not been accepted. (At least that's my recollection.) I emailed her as well, and just today got an email saying that only initial decisions about the PhD and MA programs acceptances and waitlist have been made, and that the faculty are still deliberating and should have finalized their decisions in the next few weeks. Then notifications about acceptances and declines will go out via US mail. Nobody has been declined yet. (This is pretty close to a direct quote.)

I fully expect not to be admitted at UVA, and I'm okay with that, but I'm trying to sort things out. Anyone had any contact with UVA?

religionstudent,

i enjoy chapel hill more than durham, but there are aspects to duke's campus that are more appealing in certain ways. so really it would come down to how much you would enjoy the campus, dept, facilities, etc. it seems shallow, yes, but i would decide based on which dept/campus i'd want to be based in. you can travel back and forth easily enough, but if you'd like to be closer to the profs with whom you are more interested in working (or where there are MORE of them), then go for unc.

more importantly, i guess, would be how your 5-6 years would be broken down, whose course requirements and qualifying exams would suit you better, etc.

since you'd have (in part) the best of both world, i say it comes down to comfort, aesthetics, and that good ol' gut feeling.