Religion PhD - Results Page

sarah4153

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm sure we're not the only two on the board waiting to hear from Religion departments, so maybe everyone else will come out if we have our own board. :-D

It always seems to take Religion departments the longest. My co-workers say it's because they're waiting for a sign from God. Clever, I know.

I'm waiting on Yale. I got rejected from Duke a week and a half ago (by email), so I guess I didn't even make the first cut. Oh, well. I'm studying Hebrew Bible, and so for the rest of my applications I applied to Near Eastern Studies Phds, and not religion department programs.

All I know is a repeat of other information on this site. FSU has admitted, Duke has admitted or called for interviews (the same thing there) and rejected almost everyone, and Emory already invited several down for their weekend visit. I have not heard anything from anyone. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for creating this thread. I am going crazy waiting for answers. I have applied to 7 doctoral programs in early Christianity and have only heard back from Duke. Rejected so early! I am waiting to hear from Princeton, Yale, Harvard (PhD, ThD), UNC - Chapel Hill, and UCSB.

GRE Q: 690

GRE V: 710

GPA: 3.9 (master's)

Sorry, Sarah. Life is suffering indeed. Michigan's too damn cold anyway.

Indeed it is - the suffering bit. You're also right about the cold. It's about 20 degrees out, and just this morning I was thinking how much colder it must be in Michigan!

My friend and I applied to Emory. He was invited to campus for an interview that took place this past weekend. He said that something like 4 of the 5 final candidates in Theological Studies were internal, i.e. had done MDiv or MA degrees at the Candler School.

Duke: got emails last Friday from L. van Rompay and E. Clark (and also J. Warren Smith today) inviting me to interview at the beginning of next month for the field of Early Christianity.

ANYONE WAITING ON BROWN RELIGIOUS STUDIES?!?!?!

If so, I was informed by Gail Tetreault that they committee met jointly Jan 28-29 and have met by specific tracts since then. They final meeting was supposed to be this week (so she predicted last week), but I don't know what day or if it is actually happening.

She is super nice and if you email to ask her she will give you whatever info she has. I'd email again, but I'm afraid that I may be overdoing it! Anyway, she said that if you're on the "short list," you will get an unofficial notice (email, phone call) from a professor in the dept. Should happen sometime this week or next week...........

Thanks!

Also, fyi, I had to turn down the interview at Duke because my fiancee does not have any med school options there. So we are hopeful for Brown or Columbia so that we can both start next Fall.

So if you suddenly get a call from Duke for an interview.....you're welcome! (And the same will go for Virginia and Illinois Urbana-Champagne's history dept, neither of which I can attend).

Did you turn down an interview for Virginia's Religion or History department? Perhaps you haven't heard from them yet, but know you will have to - couldn't tell from your post.

I am also waiting for Columbia and Virginia Religious Studies departments.

No, I hadn't been offered interviews at those schools, nor have I heard one way or the other. I was just saying that I am no longer a candidate for those schools since I can't attend. Sorry for the confusion! And it was Religious Studies at Virginia.

What fields have you applied for, sarah4153?