Duble Doctorate

Hi

I have done M Phil in English literature. I want to do a double doctorate (2 PhDs simultaneously) from a good American university. till now i am not successful in my search. Can anyone suggest a university that offers a double doctorate in literature?

Thanks

N

Hi

I have done M Phil in English literature. I want to do a double doctorate (2 PhDs simultaneously) from a good American university. till now i am not successful in my search. Can anyone suggest a university that offers a double doctorate in literature?

Thanks

N

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a "double doctorate" take you up to, er, two decades to complete? Also, why do you want two doctorates in one area? By the time you finished one, you'd be overqualified for the other. Why wouldn't you just do... a doctorate in literature? As it stands, it sounds a bit like, "I want to double major in English." If you want to do more than one literature in terms of language and/or era, a program in Comp Lit might be up your alley.

There are departments that offer a PhD in two areas – Yale's Classics department, for instance, offers PhDs in Classics and Comp Lit, Classics and Renaissance Studies, etc. There are also PhD programs that will do a kind of "secondary discipline" or appended MA/MPhil to your PhD, so you could do a PhD in, say, French lit, with a secondary field in medieval studies. Toronto offers a whole ton of really cool-sounding collaborative programs.

Also, it's not unheard-of to fashion your own PhD – though as I say, your plans sounds vague/one-track enough that a plain old literature program would be fine.

Basically, to specialize in more than one area, you don't need to put yourself through twice as many years of schooling! There are easier, and probably better, ways!