Waitlisted twice

res2135

I just found out I was waitlisted yet again. I applied to 5 schools (for speech pathology) and have only heard back from two (ranked number 2 and 5 for my program), both of which have now waitlisted me. I've heard that applicants are usually only waitlisted when there isn't a "compelling" reason to admit them. I didn't major in communication disorders in undergrad, and I guess my stats aren't amazing, but this is seriously demoralizing. I won't find out anything from either of them until 4/10 at the absolute earliest, and I just...UGH. I really only wanted to go to one of the schools anyway, which I'm waitlisted at but still, I'd like to know if I'll get in and also that I'm not the most boring applicant ever.

Edited by res2135

You're not alone. I received two waitlist letters this week. UCLA tells me I'm on the short list (they even put it in bold letters and underlined) and San Diego tells me that if one or more spots open up I'll be admitted. Limbo land is going to drive me batty until I hear back from someone in.... April.

I feel your pain. Last year I was waitlisted THREE times. In addition, I was also waitlisted for a national fellowship. By the end, I did not even want to hear the word waitlist and ended up being rejected by all of the programs. The economy definitely affected (and continues to) affect schools ability to accepted the same number of students that they would have in the past (plus I am in clinical psychology which is super competitive). As result, a lot of good students end up on waitlists. After cursing academia for a year and calming down enough to reapply, I am happy to report that I have gained admission to a program that is considered among the top 5. I hope you story ends well this year. Just remember that being on a waitlist does not reflect your worth as a candidate. There are just so many good candidates for so few spots.

Good Luck

My mentor seemed upbeat about the wait list - but pointed out the realities of everything: Everything relies on someone else - someone else has to decline their spot, someone else has to re-evaluate the wait list pool. It feels out of my hands. I did send the "thank you for still considering my application letter" with a quick paragraph about a recent achievement that was tangible to my program and my overall application. It's the waiting part of the "wait list" that can be very stressing - you can't turn the page and move on just yet ... The more I check the overall percentages of people that get moved to acceptance from the wait list, the less hope I have <20 percent.

My mentor seemed upbeat about the wait list - but pointed out the realities of everything: Everything relies on someone else - someone else has to decline their spot, someone else has to re-evaluate the wait list pool. It feels out of my hands. I did send the "thank you for still considering my application letter" with a quick paragraph about a recent achievement that was tangible to my program and my overall application. It's the waiting part of the "wait list" that can be very stressing - you can't turn the page and move on just yet ... The more I check the overall percentages of people that get moved to acceptance from the wait list, the less hope I have <20 percent.

Yeah that's awesome. Waitlisted people should email programs, ask how long the waitlist is, ask how many students are normally admitted off the waitlist, ask if the waitlist is ranked and if so, where you are on it, tell them that you'd really like to go to their program, etc. Be active! Also, if stuff has changed, update them on it.

You're not alone. I received two waitlist letters this week. UCLA tells me I'm on the short list (they even put it in bold letters and underlined) and San Diego tells me that if one or more spots open up I'll be admitted. Limbo land is going to drive me batty until I hear back from someone in.... April.

Last I checked, short listed meant accepted...

Last I checked, short listed meant accepted...

Shortlisted to be on a waitlist, is probably what they meant. No school uses the word shortlist for an acceptance. They always say "You have been admitted/accepted to the program", etc.

I have been wait listed twice!!! I hope people start to turn down offers! At least I know that people want me. If i don't get in, I will apply again in two years with a masters and they would have to accept me, right? haha

I'm waitlisted at a really small program. They only accepted seven people, so I assume the waitlist is short as well (they won't release the specific details). But does being waitlisted at a small program severely reduce the chances of getting in?

What's everyone doing about their wait list status? I keep reading contradictory things about what should and shouldn't be done by people on the wait list.

So far, I've just sent a letter reaffirming that they are my school of choice and added something special to the letter about a recent accomplishment. I have someone who is more than willing to write another LOR particularly due to my involvement in a very difficult situation just this past week that's directly related to my program. I just don't know if it would be a good thing to do or a not so good thing to do.

Limbo land ..... <sigh> Is the decision out of our hands or can we still do something about it.

I have done the same. Send an email saying I am happy that I can have the chance to attend the school. Updates on the things that have happened since my application. There is no point in sending another letter because it all depends on the other people. It all depends on if you are ranked at the top or not.