Should I even bother?

asha

So, I have applied to several MS programs in two very closely related fields. I have zero desire to get a PhD. Most of these programs won't be sending out notices until this coming week or the week after.

However, I have been admitted to one very good school, which has several professors doing the type of work I am interested in. I do not have any funding tied down there because they admit you and then tie you to a professor who either does or does not have funding. If I don't get in anywhere else, I would still be completely thrilled to go to this school. I'll probably go even without funding. It's the no. 3 school in the country for this type of program.

On Monday, I received an email directing me to a second school's apply yourself website, which told me I was admitted. I was pretty excited about this because it's also a very good school, and they usually don't take MS students without fully funding them. I actually told many of my friends and family that I had been admitted. I wasn't as over the moon about it as school one, but I figured it would just give me another option in addition to school one. Then today I get an email from one of their professors asking to do a short phone interview, which we did this afternoon. I mentioned that I had gotten an email saying I was admitted and he kind of laughed and said he probably did that by accident. WTF? How is that a remotely funny? We spoke awhile about his research, and then about my interests, and I agreed to go up there early next week to meet with him and some other members of the department. He did say some nice things about my application and my experience.

It's very clear that I am NOT admitted, and that this is just an interview.

I just feel so pissed off that they would or could accidentally tell someone they are admitted and then just laugh it off. Who does that? I don't even know if I want to waste my time going up there for an interview. He said something about funding needing to be tied down by next week, so he was trying to make a decision quickly. Well, I haven't heard from 5 schools, several of which I would prefer. I am also not going to know about funding at school one for at least two weeks. Lastly, this professor's research doesn't tie into what I am really passionate about as closely as other programs do.

I just feel like canceling and waiting out my other schools, but then again, what if I am throwing away a fully funded offer? I really don't know what to do at this point. Advise me !

I say suck it up and go anyway. You are very justifiably upset right not, but you don't want that to cause you to make a decision that you will later regret. If it's not a large expense for you, go on the interview, do your best, and postpone the decision til later, when you have more information and the initial annoyance has worn off. Keep as many options as possible open; only decide after you've received all the acceptance and funding decisions. Then if you still don't like the research done at that department or the professors, you can always decline.

Go. I hate to say it, considering the massively ridiculous clusterf%*#! they've already put you through, but there are a few reasons I think you should put on a happy face biggrin.gif and at least see where it goes:

1.) Funding is hard to come by. If you can potentially avoid the debt you'd incur by paying for the other dream program, you owe it to yourself to understand your financial options.

2.) An interview is often the best way to see if a program is truly a good fit. Meeting with professors and possibly talking to other students in the program will give you a chance to do a gut check and see how it feels.

3.) Options are good. At the end of the day, more options means a greater chance that you'll find the perfect program for you.

If I found myself in this situation, I'd go to the interview, but keep in mind that the program has less-than-stellar communication, and that I already have an awesome offer from a dream school. This means you can go into the interview secure in the knowledge that your dream school wants you and *might* (fingers crossed) even fund your work.

That being said, CONGRATULATIONS! You're in.

Its a masters program..so other than your thesis, there's going to be very little research and more of coursework. If you get an MS/MA from a good school, you will be competitive in the job market, even if you don't do exactly what you wanted to do for your thesis.. Its best to avoid debt because there's no guarantee that going to the other school will make you more competitive when you apply for jobs later on. So funding should be weighed in heavily here, I think.

There is actually quite a bit of research with this particular lab (at the second school) - field work and lab work. The first school is in another discipline and would mean less research. I am not really sure how to compare across two fields. Anyhow, that is neither here nor there. I do want to avoid debt, where possible, but I don't want to end up with a PI who doesn't give a shit.

It's a three hour drive each way, so I am going to go up and come back in the same day. I am going to go, but I am not holding out much hope that it will work for me.

<br />There is actually quite a bit of research with this particular lab (at the second school) - field work and lab work.  The first school is in another discipline and would mean less research.  I am not really sure how to compare across two fields.  Anyhow, that is neither here nor there.  I do want to avoid debt, where possible, but I don't want to end up with a PI who doesn't give a shit.<br /><br />It's a three hour drive each way, so I am going to go up and come back in the same day.  I am going to go, but I am not holding out much hope that it will work for me.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I would definitely approach it as though you are interviewing them. You should be a bit bothered by the mistake and the flippant attitude. I would definitely want to gauge whether or not the potential adviser is a scatter-brain who thinks that his mistakes can be laughed away rather than apologized for when appropriate.

There is actually quite a bit of research with this particular lab (at the second school) - field work and lab work. The first school is in another discipline and would mean less research. I am not really sure how to compare across two fields. Anyhow, that is neither here nor there. I do want to avoid debt, where possible, but I don't want to end up with a PI who doesn't give a shit.

It's a three hour drive each way, so I am going to go up and come back in the same day. I am going to go, but I am not holding out much hope that it will work for me.

Pack a snarky comment to take with you in case the rest of the faculty has the same sense of humor as the prof you talked to...honestly, it's not worth working with jerks! But it's always funny to give them a little taste of their own medicine...

What kind of MS program gives full funding, if any funding at all. MS usually pays everything in full

The professor has funding for a specific project... I don't think it's that unusual in the sciences?

The professor has funding for a specific project... I don't think it's that unusual in the sciences?

Not speaking for all sciences just math/physics i have never heard of an MS getting ANY funding much less full funding. Most Ivys, slacs whatnot state clearly that they will not give funding for any reason. If they were going to give funding they will give to the phd offers, then they will give offers with partial funding or no funding to another round of phd candidates and use their MS candidates for cushioning and adjustments. NYU will accept anyone for a masters but only fund 5-6 phd fully. Some schools are more selective with their masters of course. Generally speaking, researchships go to phd candidates and most 1st year or 2nd year are not even eligible unless they pass their qualifiers at least.

Yet another opportunity to quote my wise grandmother (RIP). She said, "The way it starts out is the way it ends up." Seems like you know this in your gut already, but if this is the way the prof is treating you now, it is likely that he will continue to treat you this way throughout your relationship. IMHO, "sucking it up" is a good strategy for people without choices. You have a choice. Don't ignore the data...

Yet another opportunity to quote my wise grandmother (RIP). She said, "The way it starts out is the way it ends up." Seems like you know this in your gut already, but if this is the way the prof is treating you now, it is likely that he will continue to treat you this way throughout your relationship. IMHO, "sucking it up" is a good strategy for people without choices. You have a choice. Don't ignore the data...

We are talking about sucking it up and going to an interview, yes? not committing to accepting the offer. One should gather all the available information before deciding to decline a good offer, especially a funded one.

More generally, opinions often change, both for better and worse, following campus visits. Your grandmother's advice is indeed very wise, and if it feels funky during the interview there's no reason to assume that things will improve later on. If that dismissive tone from the telephone conversation was not simply awkwardness, but true insensitivity, then that is not a person one would like to have as an advisor. I know I certainly wrote off schools because of excessive weirdness on the part of potential advisors. I think that an interview is still a legitimate part of "the way it starts out," though, and I really think the OP owes it to themselves to go out and see how they likes the university in person. They may find out that it's a nice place after all, and they may find that other places that they prefer now are not as great as they look on paper. Information is key to informed decisions.

I went to the interview last week, and tried to keep an open mind. It was only two hours each way at rush hour, so that was a nice surprise. The professor was nice enough, but I don't think we clicked. I just couldn't get a good read on him. He explained that the department has switched how they are doing things this year, admitting people and then finding funding by matching them up with a professor. This is similar to the other university I got into except that here they don't take you if you can't find funding - at the other university you can still attend with loans or whatever. I really find this method of doing things frustrating and confusing. I wish they would have communicated the process more clearly. Oh well. I will hear from him in the next week or two.

I had an email from another professor at the same university on Thursday, asking me to come visit. Now... this again seems strange to me, but I am going again. Maybe I am a glutton for punishment, but the thing is, the university is extremely highly ranked, the department is respected, and I really liked the people I did meet. Also, they give a really large stipend, the area is gorgeous, and it would be one of the simpler moves for me. I feel I owe it to myself to try to make it work. I can always say no thanks.

If it doesn't work out, I have several other options. I am just along for the ride at this point.