UC Berkeley or Yale for Environmental Science

UC Berkeley vs. Yale  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should I go to UC Berkeley for my PhD in ESPM or Yale for my Masters in Environmental Management?

• UC Berkeley PhD
    • Yale MEM

Like most here I'm trying to decide between two great programs. I was accepted to UC Berkeley's Environmental Science, Policy, and Management PhD program with full funding + stipend, as well as Yale's Masters of Environmental Management program with partial funding covering approximately half of my costs. I have several scholarships lined up which could theoretically (if awarded) cover the rest of the costs should I choose Yale-- it would just mean more leg work on my part. 

I would ultimately like to start an environmental consulting firm to assist Tribes with the development of resource management plans and environmental policies, and feel getting my PhD will help secure funding to accomplish that goal. Berkeley is one of the top ranked universities for environmental science and I feel I could learn a lot from the professor I would be working with. On the other hand, I have been told by numerous people that by going to Yale I will have access to their alumni which could open doors and provide opportunities that would otherwise be hard to come by. It also seems like Yale has closer ties to Washington than Berkeley, and while I don't necessarily want to work in DC, I think it would be beneficial to have connections there for what I want to do.

I have visited both schools and both have positives and negatives that about equal out regarding the overall atmosphere and "fit". I am leaning toward Berkeley simply because they offered me more funding, and it's a great program. However, I am worried that if it doesn't provide me the opportunity to network with the right people that I won't have another opportunity, i.e. by earning another degree, and I will stuck there for at least 5 years. Whereas, at Yale I would spend two years getting my masters then if I wanted a change I could always re-apply to Berkeley for my PhD.

Anyone have strong opinions or advice on either school and/or program? This forum is aptly named; it's down to the wire and I'm soliciting any and all input I can find. Thanks in advance for your help!