I/O Psychology

Luna

Looking over these topics I realized that no one had written about their experiences applying for I/O Psychology. I have already applied to 10 PHD programs and heard back from 3. So far the news is not great - 2 rejections and 1 waitlist. I suppose it's still too early to tell whether I'll get in somewhere or not. I just wonder if I have what it takes to get accepted. Does anyone know what most schools for this program are really looking for? The schools that rejected me only accepted 5% of their candidates, so it's hard to stay super hopeful. Please tell me about your experiences applying for I/O Psychology.

Here is some basic info about me as a candidate:

GRE: 1270

GPA: 3.82

Two majors (including psych)

1.5 solid years of research experience including (honors thesis, research intern, survey interviewer, field researcher, and research assistant for an I/O research group)

If there is anything else I should mention let me know.

Thanks and Good luck!

Hey Luna,

I am also in a similar situation. I applied to 10 I/O psychology programs as well. My stats are:

2 years of research experience

3.85 GPA

1350 GRE

I didn't hear anything from any of the programs though. Do you mind disclosing which schools you've heard from?

Hey Diesel,

The only school I've officially heard back from via email is GMU - that is where I was waitlisted. As for the other two programs (both rejections) I heard back from due to external circumstances. For example, one of the schools I volunteered with for nearly 8 months! :(

In any case, I might want to keep the specifics of my rejections private. However, here is where I applied:

GMU

PSU

U Conn

U Maryland

CSU

Columbia

U South Florida

U Minnesota

PSU #2

NCSU

Where did you apply?

Hi

I applied to:

Purdue University

Texas A&M

Central Michigan University

DePaul University

University of South Florida

Portland State University

Kansas State University

Florida Institute of Technology

University of Houston

I didn't hear anything from any of the schools so far.

Today I got an e-mail from Texas A&M saying that I made it to top 12 candidates but not accepted yet. I'm in the waitlist. Hopefully some of those who are accepted will drop out and open a spot for me. I didn't get anything from USF though but I remember one professor from USF saying that they offer 15 admissions/year in order to get a starting class of 5 people because most people choose to go to other schools.

USF just sent me an email rejection, so if you didn't get one you've at least made the cutoff.

I got a snail mail from USF today. They say that they have only 5 spots and it's very competitive. I made their waitlist but not the acceptance list. In the mail it says most people in the waitlist usually end up getting acceptances because a lot of people decline their acceptance. I now have 3 waitlists, no acceptions, no rejections.

Acceptances are much better than rejections - I am so bummed. I keep telling myself that there are six schools left to hear from, but even so, I'm not much of an optimist.

Your stats aren't bad at all. Did you double check your statement of purpose and are you confident about your recommendation letters? Sometimes these two cause a lot of problems in people's applications.

I'm sure that my LOR are great - I chose people who have known me for a long time and believe in me and really believe this is a good field for me to pursue. As for my statement, I got some advice from a current grad student who gave me a clearer picture of what the schools actually want to know! So, I had two versions that I tweaked and used, so far one version seems to be winning - I guess the personal narrative I began with might have been a better opener. How did you go about writing your essays and seeking recommendation letters?

I'm sure that my LOR are great - I chose people who have known me for a long time and believe in me and really believe this is a good field for me to pursue. As for my statement, I got some advice from a current grad student who gave me a clearer picture of what the schools actually want to know! So, I had two versions that I tweaked and used, so far one version seems to be winning - I guess the personal narrative I began with might have been a better opener. How did you go about writing your essays and seeking recommendation letters?

When I was talking to my professors 4 of them offered to write me letters even before I had a chance to ask them for letters because they knew what I wanted to do. In this case I'm sure their letters will be really good. I also prepared my statement of purpose with an I/O Psychology professor.

By the way I got waitlisted for the 4th time today. The e-mail said that it's very likely that they will offer me a spot before april 15th. They just want me to be patient I guess. :)

• 1 month later...

GPA: 3.9+/4.0(Maj.)

GRE:Q:800/V:660/Writ:6

As I/O folk, we know LOR are basically riff-raff screeners, beyond that useless; if they write it for you, it's gonna be glowing. I have 4 yrs scientific research, but not discipline specific (genetics). Only one year discipline sp, but not my interest specific. This was the major factor BGSU cited for rejecting me. I had about 10 applications also. Only 2 acceptances. About half were to business school OB programs (btw. i have very little business experience). Here's the quick: (all phD)

Stanford OB- Reject

Berkeley Haas OB-Reject

Harvard OB- Reject

Kellogg Northwestern -Reject

UT McCombs-Reject

Illinois Champagne OB-still haven't heard back, i think that's a reject

-------

Minnesota i/o-reject

BGSU i/o-waitlist then reject notification after i contacted them on status

TAMU-waitlist, recent accept

George Mason-accept

Also from face-to-face with an i/o professor: If you have research experience with the person you want to have as mentor and worked on their grant already, You are a no-brainer acceptance. It appears to me that despite high scores, the singular most important factor is alumni connection or (more important) personal contact and experience with the program and advisor you are going in to.

GMU was the fastest about notifying of all schools. Funding info came pretty quick with notification. Had to make phone calls or e-mails to most of the schools early march to check on status (i was biting my nails all feb.), this usually resulted in a prompt response.

Anyone being waitlisted by TAMU or GMU, I plan on accepting one of those by the end of next week. The other spot will open up. Today is Friday, March 28 2008. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

For those looking for a spot at TAMU, one just opened up. I was top of their wait list and given a slot last night that I just turned down. it was a hard choice, but decided to stay in the city I'm in at one of my top choices.