Yale Statistics

It is a smaller, more theoretical department, but I think it has some very strong faculty... for example, Harrison Zhou, Andrew R. Barron (big name in information theory), and they recently got John Lafferty too (a huge name in statistical learning). I think it is an excellent department.

16 minutes ago, Applied Math to Stat said:

It is a smaller, more theoretical department, but I think it has some very strong faculty... for example, Harrison Zhou, Andrew R. Barron (big name in information theory), and they recently got John Lafferty too (a huge name in statistical learning). I think it is an excellent department.

Thank you.

Do you think it'd be possible to apply to other PhD programs next fall if I complete my masters? The program is one year long, and I fear I won't have time to do proper research/develop a quality relationship with letter writers.

9 minutes ago, jswizzle48 said:

Thank you.

Do you think it'd be possible to apply to other PhD programs next fall if I complete my masters? The program is one year long, and I fear I won't have time to do proper research/develop a quality relationship with letter writers.

Depends when the application deadlines are. If you think you can get strong letters from Masters instructor(s) by the time that applications are due, you can still apply for PhD programs (or alternatively, if you can secure good recommendation letters from your undergrad professors).  

Don't worry about research experience for PhD admissions. A small minority of applicants have noteworthy research, but it is not very common either (REUs and Masters projects don't usually have any resemblance to PhD research).

19 minutes ago, Applied Math to Stat said:

Depends when the application deadlines are. If you think you can get strong letters from Masters instructor(s) by the time that applications are due, you can still apply for PhD programs (or alternatively, if you can secure good recommendation letters from your undergrad professors).  

Don't worry about research experience for PhD admissions. A small minority of applicants have noteworthy research, but it is not very common either (REUs and Masters projects don't usually have any resemblance to PhD research).

Okay thank you!