Anyone have funding info. for these schools?

Can the acceptees to these schools provide the funding packages you were offered for these schools??

- Harvard

- BC

- Tufts

- Vanderbilt

- SUNY Buffalo

The web sites don't list actual amount and even though some of the gradcafe results have $ amounts previous years, there is no 2010 data.

Also, if others want to share their funding packgs. here then you could use this thread. Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't know any of the 2010 data for the schools above.

If anyone is interested in the stipends of other schools, here are some of the yearly amounts according to application results:

- Johns Hokpins 18,500 year w/ 3,000 summer funding per year

- University of Pennsylvania ~22,000

- Columbia 23,000

- Cornell ~26,400

- University of Rochester ~17,000

- University Of Connecticut- Storrs ~19,000

University of California - Riverside 16,000

If anyone could provide other funding amounts, I think it would this thread might be a good way to compile data for reference. Sometimes individuals are hesitant to discuss funding, however, which is understandable.

Unfortunately I don't know any of the 2010 data for the schools above.

If anyone is interested in the stipends of other schools, here are some of the yearly amounts according to application results:

- Johns Hokpins 18,500 year w/ 3,000 summer funding per year

- University of Pennsylvania ~22,000

- Columbia 23,000

- Cornell ~26,400

- University of Rochester ~17,000

- University Of Connecticut- Storrs ~19,000

University of California - Riverside 16,000

If anyone could provide other funding amounts, I think it would this thread might be a good way to compile data for reference. Sometimes individuals are hesitant to discuss funding, however, which is understandable.

upenn also offers $3,500 summer funding for 3 summers (you can select which ones) per their dept. web site. that combined with their stipend makes them have a pretty nice package... especially since philly is a reasonably priced city housing-wise (not like NYC, LA, etc.).

thanks for this!

Edited by gken4

Vanderbilt: $24,250/year for five years (I believe this is the same base package that everyone receives).

DGS mentioned that they are trying to implement funding for the summers of the 2nd and 3rd year (let's hope they get this going before I'm out of there!)

There also seem to be lots of opportunities for additional funding through both the department and the graduate school for summers, dissertation enhancement grants, etc. etc.

There are also quite a few "topping up" fellowships available, one of which I was fortunate enough to receive for an additional $10k/year for five years (don't mean to brag but c'mon I'm freaking out with joy about getting this much money just to do what I want!). Yay for money.

Edited by callmelilyb

On 3/7/2010 at 10:23 PM, callmelilyb said:

Vanderbilt: $24,250/year for five years (I believe this is the same base package that everyone receives).

DGS mentioned that they are trying to implement funding for the summers of the 2nd and 3rd year (let's hope they get this going before I'm out of there!)

There also seem to be lots of opportunities for additional funding through both the department and the graduate school for summers, dissertation enhancement grants, etc. etc.

WOW! $24K for an english grad program??? that's usually science money and even then, it's substantial. that's incredible funding vandy must be the highest in the country? I think WUSTL also offers similar funding.

On 3/8/2010 at 2:07 AM, gken4 said:

WOW! $24K for an english grad program??? that's usually science money and even then, it's substantial. that's incredible funding vandy must be the highest in the country? I think WUSTL also offers similar funding.

That is pretty ridiculous. It's not the same situation and I don't know how Vanderbilt deals with paying for their TA-ships and teaching obligations but at NYU we get paid for our teaching obligations in addition to receiving stipend money. From what I understand, the base package at NYU is $23,000 and those two years of teaching can award up to about an additional $22,000 depending on how much teaching you do and in what capacity. The program is also trying to secure funds so that students can get $5,000 for each of the first three summers. I received a diversity fellowship which would be another $4,000 per year so for about two years there's the potential to be making about $50k which is nuts but I'd say completely necessary to live comfortably in New York (and even then, living in the Village could be somewhat of a stretch lol).

I received a diversity fellowship which would be another $4,000 per year so for about two years there's the potential to be making about $50k which is nuts but I'd say completely necessary to live comfortably in New York (and even then, living in the Village could be somewhat of a stretch lol).

Wow, that's insane! It's too bad you can't take that funding and go live in a more affordable city though. I would imagine it's still not much in NYC. And I thought I was lucky to be getting something in the range of 18-20K!! I had no idea that kind of funding was even possible in the humanities.

On 3/8/2010 at 2:07 AM, gken4 said:

WOW! $24K for an english grad program??? that's usually science money and even then, it's substantial. that's incredible funding vandy must be the highest in the country? I think WUSTL also offers similar funding.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Vanderbilt seems to be an incredibly generous program. I know that at least one other person on this board (who isn't as big of a braggart as I am!) also received a $24k/year package. Not to mention this is Nashville where $24k/year will go a lot farther than in some other places (though Nashville isn't cheap, it's not too bad either).

As far as teaching goes, we are expected to teach (which at Vanderbilt means something very different than a traditional TA-ship ) as part of our funding package so I don't think there is any additional compensation for teaching (unless you teach more than you're required I would assume).

On 3/8/2010 at 12:42 PM, callmelilyb said:

(which at Vanderbilt means something very different than a traditional TA-ship )

How so? (Also, 24K! I'm jealous.)

---

In relation to this, I guess that some sort of TAship is included in most/all of these packages? At Rutgers, there is a first year fellowship, but after that you explicitly get a TAship salary.

On 3/8/2010 at 1:14 PM, p7389 said:

How so? (Also, 24K! I'm jealous.)

---

In relation to this, I guess that some sort of TAship is included in most/all of these packages? At Rutgers, there is a first year fellowship, but after that you explicitly get a TAship salary.

Yes, same with Vanderbilt, you have no teaching responsibilities until you complete the MA (which is usually after the first year), then you're getting your stipend "in exchange" for teaching.

Regarding the TAships at Vanderbilt: Basically you design and teach your own literature class, which although it includes a writing component it isn't just a "Freshman Comp" course. You have the freedom to design your own syllabus and incorporate whatever researcn interests you are currently pursuing (all of course under the guidance of a faculty mentor). TAShip courses at Vanderbilt also have enrollment capped at 12 students which seems nice given the workload difference between having 12 students and having say 25-30 students. Basically she stressed that rather than being "cheap labor" for the English department the entire TAShip structure is designed to be of benefit to US -- and while I do know that these sorts of teaching opportunities can present themselves later in other programs it seems that this is the case at Vanderbilt from day one of teaching responsibilities.

And maybe other programs are like this, but the DGS said it was something fairly "unique to their program" that they were quite proud of, so I just believed her!

Yes, same with Vanderbilt, you have no teaching responsibilities until you complete the MA (which is usually after the first year), then you're getting your stipend "in exchange" for teaching.

Regarding the TAships at Vanderbilt: Basically you design and teach your own literature class, which although it includes a writing component it isn't just a "Freshman Comp" course. You have the freedom to design your own syllabus and incorporate whatever researcn interests you are currently pursuing (all of course under the guidance of a faculty mentor). TAShip courses at Vanderbilt also have enrollment capped at 12 students which seems nice given the workload difference between having 12 students and having say 25-30 students. Basically she stressed that rather than being "cheap labor" for the English department the entire TAShip structure is designed to be of benefit to US -- and while I do know that these sorts of teaching opportunities can present themselves later in other programs it seems that this is the case at Vanderbilt from day one of teaching responsibilities.

And maybe other programs are like this, but the DGS said it was something fairly "unique to their program" that they were quite proud of, so I just believed her!

According to the DGS at Rutgers, they also pride themselves on producing good teachers. I didn't ask about specifics (such as number of students...), but I was told that first year, you lead group discussions, second year you teach comp, third year you have the opportunity to design your own course. I guess this is a good way to ease into it (and, I would assume, the way it works in most places). Rutgers is a big university though, so I imagine that there still is a "cheap labor" factor in play.

Anyway, you seem to have received a fantastic offer at Vanderbilt from more than just a monetary perspective -- congratulations!

According to the DGS at Rutgers, they also pride themselves on producing good teachers. I didn't ask about specifics (such as number of students...), but I was told that first year, you lead group discussions, second year you teach comp, third year you have the opportunity to design your own course. I guess this is a good way to ease into it (and, I would assume, the way it works in most places). Rutgers is a big university though, so I imagine that there still is a "cheap labor" factor in play.

Anyway, you seem to have received a fantastic offer at Vanderbilt from more than just a monetary perspective -- congratulations!

I think what you've described is how TAShips are handled in most places: with a gradual increase in responsibility until you are designing your own course by the 3rd-4th year. I certainly didn't mean to imply that other programs couldn't produce great teachers (or even that other programs all view TAShips as "cheap labor")...I hope I didn't come across that way. I was basically regurgitating the terms in which things were explained to me....as I have no personal knowledge of how TAShips are actually structured anywhere else.

At any rate, I have heard fantastic things about Rutgers. My closest faculty mentor finished his PhD there in 2003 (or 2004?) and he makes them sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Edited by callmelilyb

I certainly didn't mean to imply that other programs couldn't produce great teachers (or even that other programs all view TAShips as "cheap labor")...I hope I didn't come across that way.

Oh, you implied no such thing, and you did not come across that way.

I do believe we're a bit off-topic now though.

There are also quite a few "topping up" fellowships available, one of which I was fortunate enough to receive for an additional $10k/year for five years (don't mean to brag but c'mon I'm freaking out with joy about getting this much money just to do what I want!). Yay for money.

Congrats!

Do you happen to know the number of acceptances? I knew from last year it was 7. Or has Vandy done offering ? It is awfully quiet out there.

Congrats!

Do you happen to know the number of acceptances? I knew from last year it was 7. Or has Vandy done offering ? It is awfully quiet out there.

All I know is that they are aiming for a cohort of 6-8 students.

I, too, was told by the DGS that they're aiming for 6-8 (more towards 8). She said that because of the climate this year, they may actually have a couple more than 8, though at most about 10. That says to me they admitted 10 people, maybe one or two more.

I don't know if they're done making offers--I will say that visit weekend is a little over a week away, if that gives you any sort of indication.

Continued good luck to you!

Can the acceptees to these schools provide the funding packages you were offered for these schools??

- Harvard

- BC

- Tufts

- Vanderbilt

- SUNY Buffalo

The web sites don't list actual amount and even though some of the gradcafe results have $ amounts previous years, there is no 2010 data.

Also, if others want to share their funding packgs. here then you could use this thread. Thanks!

Tufts waitlisted me, and I can't see any funding info.

I can give a lot of funding package info because I completed a buttload of apps and tracked that info, but here is what I have so far (this would be for a student entering with an MA and teaching experience, I presume.

Miami: 20K

WashU in St. Louis 18.8k (and you do not have to WORK AT ALL FOR 3 SEMESTERS)

Tufts: ?

Fordham 18.8k

Stony Brook 15.6 k

Northeaster 15.6 K

That is pretty ridiculous. It's not the same situation and I don't know how Vanderbilt deals with paying for their TA-ships and teaching obligations but at NYU we get paid for our teaching obligations in addition to receiving stipend money. From what I understand, the base package at NYU is $23,000 and those two years of teaching can award up to about an additional $22,000 depending on how much teaching you do and in what capacity. The program is also trying to secure funds so that students can get $5,000 for each of the first three summers. I received a diversity fellowship which would be another $4,000 per year so for about two years there's the potential to be making about $50k which is nuts but I'd say completely necessary to live comfortably in New York (and even then, living in the Village could be somewhat of a stretch lol).

Since they started paying for teaching (a change in effect for Fall's incoming graduate class), it seems like NYU is going to outstrip Columbia's funding. Both schools offer fellowships of about 23,000, and though Columbia will fund a 6th year, NYU allows you to "bank" the earnings from one year of teaching to fund a sixth year. (But you don't get the money back if you finish your dissertation in the fifth year and are ready to go on the job market then). However, the NYU teaching money will come only in the later years, so the first two years of study will be at the same 23,000 as Columbia. I think the total teaching load is four semesters spread out over the 3rd to 5th years. The 22k is the total amount possible to earn for four semesters taught over those 3 years, so it seems doubtful that there would be one year approaching total funding of 50k. Some years teaching it might only raise your funds by $5,500, but it is still a pretty good deal. And it's nice to be paid for teaching rather than simply be doing required "service."

I hadn't heard about the possibility of summer funding. The faculty and students I spoke with left me with the impression that summers would likely remain unfunded. But getting by on 23k in NYC must be possible, because so many students do it - right?

Tufts waitlisted me, and I can't see any funding info.

I can give a lot of funding package info because I completed a buttload of apps and tracked that info, but here is what I have so far (this would be for a student entering with an MA and teaching experience, I presume.

Miami: 20K

WashU in St. Louis 18.8k (and you do not have to WORK AT ALL FOR 3 SEMESTERS)

Tufts: ?

Fordham 18.8k

Stony Brook 15.6 k

Northeaster 15.6 K

I have funding info for Tufts. The stipend is 18k, which is up over 1.5k from last year. They are trying to get it even higher in the immediate future, aiming for something more like 21k. Teaching sounds really good: none at all the 1st year, then 1 class each semester of first-year writing, capped at 10 students. There are also dissertation fellowships for those who can get everything in order.

I have funding info for Tufts. The stipend is 18k, which is up over 1.5k from last year. They are trying to get it even higher in the immediate future, aiming for something more like 21k. Teaching sounds really good: none at all the 1st year, then 1 class each semester of first-year writing, capped at 10 students. There are also dissertation fellowships for those who can get everything in order.

Daedalus, This really seems to separate the mice from men, the schools that do not require teaching every semester and cap classes. Thanks for the info. I think it makes me more anxious about my waitlist at tufts. Grrr. Thanks again.

b

Since they started paying for teaching (a change in effect for Fall's incoming graduate class), it seems like NYU is going to outstrip Columbia's funding. Both schools offer fellowships of about 23,000, and though Columbia will fund a 6th year, NYU allows you to "bank" the earnings from one year of teaching to fund a sixth year. (But you don't get the money back if you finish your dissertation in the fifth year and are ready to go on the job market then). However, the NYU teaching money will come only in the later years, so the first two years of study will be at the same 23,000 as Columbia. I think the total teaching load is four semesters spread out over the 3rd to 5th years. The 22k is the total amount possible to earn for four semesters taught over those 3 years, so it seems doubtful that there would be one year approaching total funding of 50k. Some years teaching it might only raise your funds by $5,500, but it is still a pretty good deal. And it's nice to be paid for teaching rather than simply be doing required "service."

I hadn't heard about the possibility of summer funding. The faculty and students I spoke with left me with the impression that summers would likely remain unfunded. But getting by on 23k in NYC must be possible, because so many students do it - right?

Ahhh that makes much more sense. Chalk my response up to wishful thinking and a lack of reading comprehension. Many students live on that amount but I can't for the life of me figure out how.