Humanities PhD: what are non-academia options?

pilisopa

I don't yet have a PhD but that is the goal in a few years. However, my plan is to live outside the United States upon graduating and in a country where academia exists but isn't on the same level as what you find in the western world. However, I would like to continue doing research and publishing. Is this at all possible? What are some non-traditional pathways for PhD grads who want to continue research and writing but can't/don't want to teach or do a post-doc?

It's pretty field-dependent. E.g. there's curating/restoration for art history, museum work or being a seasonal interpreter in a national parkĀ for history, ministry for religious studies and theology, ethics consulting for some branches of philosophy (esp. applies ethics), speech-language pathology for linguistics, etc. But the "research and no teaching" portion does rule out a lot. You can always just research in your spare time, if you really want to.

As for alt-ac jobs for humanities PhDs more generally... there's content marketing (which is where editorial jobs are, although they usually require experience/an internship), graphic design, non-profit admin, university admin, government analyst, and so on. Content marketing isn't bad, though, and there are quite a few jobs in that area. They're contract jobs, but they don't pay too badly.