USC MA in Public Diplomacy

mei

I don't know if you're heard yet, but I got a phone call March 10th, and 2 packets later last week.

I agree that was a long wait considering the deadline! I'm a little miffed though because financial aid information is not a part of the admissions process, so I received information about how to apply for aid, and when I called they acted like my only option was going to be loans?

I don't know if you're heard yet, but I got a phone call March 10th, and 2 packets later last week.

I agree that was a long wait considering the deadline! I'm a little miffed though because financial aid information is not a part of the admissions process, so I received information about how to apply for aid, and when I called they acted like my only option was going to be loans?

Hey Rachel C,

Thanks for the reply. Congratulations on your acceptance!! I haven't heard anything from USC yet - it's the last school I'm waiting for, and am very anxious to hear. I did receive some sort of supplemental form request from USC financial aid office, but I think it's separate from admissions and has nothing to do with my decision status. Hopefully I'll hear something from them soon. :)

I would call and check on your admission status- Like I said, I got a phone call a week ago and an admission package in the mail the same day. The financial aid package I got a few days later. I feel like they probably have admission decisions ready- I'm not sure why you wouldn't have heard, or why you wouldn't be at least waitlisted since they sent you information about aid!

Out of curiosity, where else did you apply? I ask because PD is something I want to do as a career, but I'm on the fence about studying it- I have NO academic experience in IR or policy or econ or anything that's not history or language. I'm going to visit USC for their open house (the 5th or 6th I think), but from what I hear they don't offer any financial aid other than loans, and that's just not going to cut it for me.

I would call and check on your admission status- Like I said, I got a phone call a week ago and an admission package in the mail the same day. The financial aid package I got a few days later. I feel like they probably have admission decisions ready- I'm not sure why you wouldn't have heard, or why you wouldn't be at least waitlisted since they sent you information about aid!

Out of curiosity, where else did you apply? I ask because PD is something I want to do as a career, but I'm on the fence about studying it- I have NO academic experience in IR or policy or econ or anything that's not history or language. I'm going to visit USC for their open house (the 5th or 6th I think), but from what I hear they don't offer any financial aid other than loans, and that's just not going to cut it for me.

Thanks for your advice - I did actually an email to Admissions about a week ago and was told that I'd hear from them via postal mail by the end of the month. So, I guess all I can do at this point is wait. :T Oh well - only about a week and half left. What part of the states are you located? I'm currently in the east coast, so I'm wondering if that might be a reason why it may be taking a bit longer. In any case, I hope I hear back from them soon.

I also applied to Yale, SIPA, SAIS, UCSD IR/PS, NYU, and the New School for Social Research (NSSR). I got into NYU, NSSR, and UCSD - now just waiting for USC. I'm on the same page with you on studying PD - I'm a bit iffy about studying it too. I've been interested in going into strategic communications/Public relations/government relations for a consulting firm or PR firm, and thought that PD might be a good background for it. However, I still have my reservations since I may very well change my career goals slightly while doing my MA, and I don't want to close too many doors. There's a lot of thinking to do!! In any case, I just hope I hear from them soon so I can speed up my decision and get moving!

I'm located in Austin, Tx, and like I said, I got a phone call the same day I got an admissions packet, so it's not the distance thing. My statement of purpose was clearly focused on wanting to work in PD, though, so they may have just been impressed by my focus and assumed I'd accept their offer immediately.

You're decision may hinge on location too- Cali is great, but I'm not hugely excited by the prospect of moving back west. You just feel so far away from the rest of the world! It takes 7 hours to fly from LA to the east coast, let alone europe....

There's also financial aid. I've heard rumors that Cali schools are awful in terms of grants, fellowships, scholarships, etc. The financial aid office said that I'd probably only be offered loans.

Then again, I haven't received any financial aid info yet from georgetown, american, or ut austin, so who knows!

Rachel C/ mei--

Sorry i'm adding questions to this thread... but I just had some quick questions about this program. I'm primarily looking into MPP/MPA programs, but the MA in public diplomacy did catch my eye while I was doing research on certain programs especially since I was an international studies major in undergrad. I was just a little curious to see what both of your undergrad majors were and your career goals. also, what other programs/schools you both applied to.

Sorry if these questions are invasive... thanks!!

I'm located in Austin, Tx, and like I said, I got a phone call the same day I got an admissions packet, so it's not the distance thing. My statement of purpose was clearly focused on wanting to work in PD, though, so they may have just been impressed by my focus and assumed I'd accept their offer immediately.

You're decision may hinge on location too- Cali is great, but I'm not hugely excited by the prospect of moving back west. You just feel so far away from the rest of the world! It takes 7 hours to fly from LA to the east coast, let alone europe....

There's also financial aid. I've heard rumors that Cali schools are awful in terms of grants, fellowships, scholarships, etc. The financial aid office said that I'd probably only be offered loans.

Then again, I haven't received any financial aid info yet from georgetown, american, or ut austin, so who knows!

I know, all of these different factors are making things so complicated! I'm actually making an excel chart listing pros/cons to my options and try to organize my thoughts a bit better...nerdy, but I hope this helps guide my decision! :)

To 2Shieh - my stats:

Double major in Literature and Poli Sci at a top public university

2 yrs work experience in Washington, DC

and other programs I applied to is listed in my previous post (above).

If you'd like some more info, feel free to PM me. My career goals are either to work in consulting or eventually get a phD.

I went to Penn for undergrad, and majored in Classical Studies, minored in Italian, and did a smattering of other language and history cultures. The only related class I took to what I want to do now is American Foreign Policy my last semester.

I graduated with honors, got a 1350 on the gre, and have worked for 2 years- mostly waitressing/barista/internships. Then this year I'm an AmeriCorps VISTA at United Way in Austin. I want to work in PD in the state department, which is why I applied to this program.

I wrote a pretty strong SOP tying my past travel, language, and volunteer experience into a narrative that made me realize, AFTER college, that I wanted to pursue the foreign service. My LOR were from a professor I liked in history, an italian professor, and my current boss at united way- so they were able to speak to all of my strong points. I think that strong connection between what I want to do and what I'm applying to study for is what has offered me admission in nearly all my schools (Georgetown SFS (MA in German and European Studies), American U SIS (MA in comparative and regional studies: Russia and Central Eurasia), Penn Fels (masters of governmental administration), and the LBJ school at UT Austin (ma in global policy).