Carnegie Mellon

Congrats to those who were accepted or placed on the wait list at CMU. I've been placed on the wait list as well. I'm curious as to the subfields of some of those who earned acceptances and those who've been placed on the wait list. Also, CMU is one of my top schools, so...if you don't feel like going to CMU...maybe...

Anyway, I'm interested in Sci-Fi, specifically diaspora SF in relation to Marxist and Postcolonialist theory. I'm currently working through Hollywood's persistent churning out of apocalyptic movies and its relation to commodity fetishism.

Again, congrats!

Anyway, I'm interested in Sci-Fi, specifically diaspora SF in relation to Marxist and Postcolonialist theory. I'm currently working through Hollywood's persistent churning out of apocalyptic movies and its relation to commodity fetishism.

That just sounds fantastic. I want to work with Sci Fi as well! Maybe some day...

I applied to the PhD program at Carnegie Mellon and got an email today offering me admission to their Master's. Does anyone have any info on this program?

I don't know a lot about the program but here is what I do know: they concentrate primarily on cultural studies with literature as a secondary source. I met with Dr. Prucell this past October - very nice, enthusiastic - and I asked him how prevalent literature was in relation to theory and other cultural concepts. He stated that literature isn't as prominent as other English programs - I used University at Buffalo as an example of a theory heavy program and he said it runs along a similar vein. I'm big on theory - I attended Buffalo for my MA - so that appeals to me. They are also a very small program - CMU is prominently science-based - and the amount of course offerings pales in comparison to Pitt which is right across the street. However, students at CMU, as well as all of the other colleges throughout Pittsburgh, can take courses at any of the other campuses and are encouraged to do so. While I understand how many may perceive the department as small, which it is, it is still surrounded by many other programs and a rather rich literary community. I really hope to attend CMU - off the wait list! - and I think it's a very encouraging and tight knit department. I hope that answers some questions, but, if not, please ask some more, and I'll try to find you some answers.