Masters in International Affairs at New School

I applied to New School for a masters in international affairs. I haven't really heard much about the program. Does it have a good reputation? Has anyone gone there or decided against going there? Any information would be appreciated!

I'm writing my senior thesis partially based on the research of a professor there...not sure if that helps or not, hahaha.

I read somewhere on this forum that it's probably best to stick with APSIA member schools, or at least affilated ones.  Then again, I don't know what you intend to do with your degree, but I would probably agree with others here to stick with APSIA.  

Hey PaleGreenStars, I also applied there and have been trying to get more info on their program.

An acquaintance who recently got her master at SIPA is familiar with the New School and highly recommended it (she had a professor who taught at both schools, and I think students at Columbia may cross-register at the New School and vice-versa for a few credits, but I cannot confirm this 100%), and I also read somewhere that they have some sort of internship program going on with the UN, but I haven’t heard/read anything more “official” other than this is a school heavily leaning towards a more leftist approach, and geared towards more independent studying.

It also (somewhat) helps to know that they have great programs in other areas (Parsons, and their drama dep., for instance), and maybe this lack of info has more to do with their International Affairs Program being a fairly recent one rather than being a bad one…but it does concern me the fact that they are not an APSIA affiliated/member school. But, hey, NYU is not a member as well, and it doesn’t seem like someone would use that point against NYU…

Anyways, I’m also looking for more info, so if there is anyone out there who could shed some light on this subject, that would be highly appreciated!!

Out of curiosity, where else are you applying to, PaleGreenStars?

Well I think NYU isn't regarded the same because their Ph.D program in IR is well known, (and I also hear a lot of UN employees pop down to NYU for their masters as well.)  But I see your point, Kentucky's Patterson school is not an ASPIA yet it's sometimes regarded as a 'best buy' for security matters.

Here is a Foreign Policy mag ranking of IR schools I found: http://mjtier.people.wm.edu/IvoryTower%202007.pdf

Now I know rankings are not everything, but it's a good place to start doing research on where you might want to go after admissions is over.

Well I think NYU isn't regarded the same because their Ph.D program in IR is well known, (and I also hear a lot of UN employees pop down to NYU for their masters as well.) But I see your point, Kentucky's Patterson school is not an ASPIA yet it's sometimes regarded as a 'best buy' for security matters.

Here is a Foreign Policy mag ranking of IR schools I found: http://mjtier.people...ower%202007.pdf

Now I know rankings are not everything, but it's a good place to start doing research on where you might want to go after admissions is over.

That paragraph has more to do with me trying to convince myself in case I only get accepted there... wink.gif

But I admit that their program sounded really interesting to me, it is just a shame that I cannot hear from anyone with firsthand experience there, especially to know how good the program really is and if the fact that the course is new/not well-known has hurt their chances in the job market.

Out of curiosity, where else are you applying to, PaleGreenStars?

I applied to George Washington (along with a billion other people, it seems), American, NYU, and Seton Hall's Whitehead School.

I wish someone knew more about New School's program. It seems so good on paper (besides the fact that isn't an ASPIA school).