Worried about Applying for Biostats

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum so apologies if I'm asking an easy question or one that pops up often in this feed. Please redirect me if that is the case.

I am currently a junior,  Actuarial Science major with a Comp. Sci Minor at a relatively small, private Midwestern school (North Central College in IL for those who may have heard of it). I went through my Undergrad not really knowing what I wanted to do and did not really make the most of my schooling.

I'm going to be a Senior next year and have taken all of the Calculus sequence, Java, Databases (SQL and the sort), Probability/Statistics and a ton of Econ, Finance and some Accounting Classes here and there.

Unfortunately, due to a hospitalization the Winter Trimester of this past junior year, my GPA has plummeted to a 3.529 (cumulative)/3.665 (major)  since I was forced to make up all of the work by teaching myself my courses and turning in the work once I returned. Unfortunately, one of those courses was Probability and Statistics which I received a C in, since I had to miss most of the work required of the class.

I was originally thinking of just applying to Actuarial roles for once I graduated but after second thought I have really liked the idea of applying to do either a master's or PhD program for Biostatistics (preferably at a school like UChicago since it's close to home).

With no real research/relevant experience and my poor GPA (and statistics grade) I'm worried that I am not at all competitive. I have not yet taken the GRE so I plan to study hard for that. I do have an internship with a large Healthcare Insurance Firm in Chicago this summer and have already taken and passed 2 actuarial exams (in financial mathematics and probability, ironic enough). 

Which classes should I be looking into next year to look more competitive during application season? Is there anything I could work on to improve my application in such short time? Which schools do you think I should apply to or would have a good shot at?

Thanks so much and sorry for this wall of text!

I wouldn’t worry too much about a lack of research experience. While the number of undergrads with research are growing, it’s still not an expectation except for at the highest ranked places. Receiving a C in an udndergrad prob/stats is alarming, but it sounds as if you have a reasonable excuse. If you made As in your calc sequence, that would be a little reassuring as well. Have you taken linear algebra or real analysis? Linear Algebra is a minimum requirement and I would strongly encourage you to take real analysis as well. An A in RA would go a long way to minimize concern regarding your ability to handle the mathematical rigor. Lasltly, make sure you choose letter of recommendation writers carefully; good LoRs can really help.

As for school, you probably don’t have a shot at the top 3 places, and I’d say 4-10 in the rankings are iffy at best. Looked for ranked schools in the 10-20 range as a sweet spot, but don’t be discouraged by that. Biostats is growing fast and any school with a ranked program will be reputable and provide you with good training.