Clinical Psych PhD?

Hello!

I am interested in hearing from some Clinical Psych PhDs about their decision to pursue the degree.

I have 3 years of research experience, and think research is fascinating. However, I am not sure I want it to be my life's work. I think I would much prefer work in a hospital or other clinical setting. Is pursuing the PhD a mistake? I know the Psy.D is an option, but I have heard some programs may not be very good and understand the cost can be crippling. I know MSW is another option, but again I am wary of high cost programs and it seems PhDs are usually leaders in clinical settings/perhaps have more career options. Again, while I think research is fascinating and definitely find some areas particularly compelling, I'm not sure I want to go on to be a professor and do tons of research. Clinical work sounds a lot more appealing.

Can any current PhDs share advice? How are you using the degree and was your program intended to be solely for individuals seeking teaching positions? I've also heard some programs dislike candidates who express an interest in clinical work, is this true?

On 5/26/2018 at 7:45 PM, gradkid1234 said:

Hello!

I am interested in hearing from some Clinical Psych PhDs about their decision to pursue the degree.

I have 3 years of research experience, and think research is fascinating. However, I am not sure I want it to be my life's work. I think I would much prefer work in a hospital or other clinical setting. Is pursuing the PhD a mistake? I know the Psy.D is an option, but I have heard some programs may not be very good and understand the cost can be crippling. I know MSW is another option, but again I am wary of high cost programs and it seems PhDs are usually leaders in clinical settings/perhaps have more career options. Again, while I think research is fascinating and definitely find some areas particularly compelling, I'm not sure I want to go on to be a professor and do tons of research. Clinical work sounds a lot more appealing.

Can any current PhDs share advice? How are you using the degree and was your program intended to be solely for individuals seeking teaching positions? I've also heard some programs dislike candidates who express an interest in clinical work, is this true?

I'll be starting a clinical program this fall. PsyDs are an option, but like you said, you may incur substantial debt going through a PsyD program. Another option that you have is to a less research-intensive PhD. I will be entering into a very research-oriented program, but PhD programs in Clinical Psychology exist that are definitely more clinically-oriented or more balanced. However, all PhD degrees will obviously require some research. My particular program is definitely intended to target training to people who will be staying in academic careers, but regardless plenty of people choose a different path. The clinical degree is very flexible in that way, which is one major reason why it appealed to me. I think that certain programs will be more ok with interests balanced between clinical work and research, while others won't. My program certainly only wants people whose main focus is research, so some interest in clinical work is great but a primary interest in clinical work over research is not. I would do some research into programs and see what they have to say about the balance between clinical work and research. Off the top of my head, I think Northwestern Feinberg and Fordham University are 2 relatively balanced programs.