Health Insurance

I know not every program offers health insurance, but this most recent offer I got is telling me I should expect to pay $2000/yr for their insurance plan with a $1000 deductible. Am I missing something or is that a horrible, horrible plan? I know I have the option of signing up for something else on my own, but why on earth would they recommend I blow nearly 10% of my meager income (more if I actually had to use the damn thing) on health insurance?

I'm new to this game, but this seems pretty unreasonable.

A lot depends. For instance, our health insurance at my current school is like $1300/yr and the deductible is probably in the range of $1000 but you can receive treatment and pick up prescriptions and receive a discount. So I've never even come close to the deductible but I also haven't had a lot of out of pocket expenses. Lots of people I know are on 1-2 prescriptions and spend less than $40/month on both... So it can be affordable. A lot depends on where you can receive care and how much care is. Oh, and I wouldn't say my health insurance now is good but it is adequate.