UChicago

phdlife

Thus far, MAPH has been my only ray of light, other than my safety. Still waiting on a few, but I'm afraid I might need to start selling Girl Scout cookies to pull in the $40,000 for tuition.

My only concern is the whole "cash cow" reputation of MAPH. If I somehow end up being able to pay the money, I have no qualms with shelling it out. I believe, if given an opportunity through the program, I will crank out some crazy results. But, how much respect do MAPH students get at U of Chicago? Anyone know?

I will be attending UChicago in the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures (Russian lit). I am so excited!!

I am going to live in the University's graduate housing (submitted my application the other day). Anyone else?

I will be attending UChicago in the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures (Russian lit). I am so excited!!

I am going to live in the University's graduate housing (submitted my application the other day). Anyone else?

Yes, most MAs have a cash cow rep, especially at UofC. CMES and MAPhs are well known for this. If you think there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, go for it, but think over your options.

Husband is at the end of the rainbow (in NELC at UofC, as am I) and we are very disappointed with our choice. He has lots of debt, so we've been a bit blindsided.

peace.

I'll be in the MAPH for Cinema and Media Studies. Anyone else for this, going to the campus visit days on Apr 11/12 ?

I am-- I'm in Art History. I am hoping to wrangle some funding out of them, but no such luck so far...

The letter was very personal and thoughtful, and the Core theory course sounds great, but on the other hand it costs a lot, and I have one partially funded MA offer somewhere else, so it will be a hard decision for me.

I am-- I'm in Art History. I am hoping to wrangle some funding out of them, but no such luck so far...

The letter was very personal and thoughtful, and the Core theory course sounds great, but on the other hand it costs a lot, and I have one partially funded MA offer somewhere else, so it will be a hard decision for me.

Yes, the personal attention I've received so far from Chicago has been a powerful motivator. That and my desire to pursue a career in academia (which automatically implies Chicago's backing will be useful) have persuaded me to grab this by the horns. Would you mind sharing in private the sort of discussions you've had with Chicago regarding funding? I made a few suggestions which I can share with you but so far there hasn't been a positive reaction.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use