Funding From Other Departments

outlawesq

I'm starting to think I'm only getting one offer from a program that is waiting to hear about funding. They've made no guarantees and only said that its "likely" and they will email the information as soon as they have it. My question is: How long should I wait before I take things into my own hands.? I know, and someone mentioned that it happens at UWisc, sometimes you can TA/RA for another department. I'm a practicing attorney at a major international firm and was a TA and RA for several professors during law school. I would really like to get my resume floating around at the law school of this university. In fact, a couple of years ago, I interviewed with this law school to teach one of their research & writing classes. Even if I got the funding, the stipends there are on the low end and I could supplement that by taking on some additional work at the law school. Is there some "etiquette" I need to follow? Should I discuss my idea with the history department first? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would wait for this professor. When they say "likely", usually it does come through unless something horrible happens. Once you're totally in and the funding isn't quite enough for you, haggle with them some more. If they're not budging, then inquire about taking RA/TA-ships at the law school. If they balk at it, ask why. And read the contract- sometimes PhD programs don't want you working part-time. Also ask graduate students about additional funding opportunities.