SAIS (Washington, Nanjing, and Bologna)

ashtangi

Hi!

I applied to the Nanjing and Washington campuses. I contacted Nanjing this week and they told me that they will release decisions early next week, both by email and by regular mail. I don't know about Washington though.

Anyone else waiting for admissions decisions from SAIS's different campuses?

Are you referring to DC applicants? I'm in the Bologna pool and think it will be a good while before we hear anything.

Yes, I was talking to someone in D.C. about the Washington program. No guarantees, of course, but my source (I feel like Mark Felt...) was confident that decisions would be sent on the 15th.

Thanks for the info. I'm waiting on DC campus, though left option open for Bologna. Sounds like I'll finely start hearing from places next week. Thus far I've heard from 0 of 4.

same here. It seems that I will begin hearing from places I applied next week. So far, none. The waiting is killing me. SAIS is my best shot, I don't think I can get it though.

Good luck to you!

DC decisions mailed out March 15th? Or will they notify us via email?

I was wondering the same thing. @LeeLeeLove, did your source mention how we will be notified? will admits go out first, with WLs and rejections going out later?

Edited by ashtangi

My source said they would e-mail the decision. I've been checking the back-logs for SAIS from recent years and it seems like they e-mail 99 percent of their acceptances on one day-- last year it was 20 March. It looks like the rejections and wait lists trickle in via post a few days later. I don't know if that's what's going to happen this year, but they seem to be pretty consistent.

@thombo-- just wanted to add that I too am 0 for 6; not a peep from anyone. i am losing my miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind.

Edited by LeeLeeLove

I also applied for China Studies!

Did you considered the five-semester option? That would be my absolute top choice! It is my impression that their China program (SAIS's) is the best in the world, at least as far as profesionally focused programs go.

<br />Did you considered the five-semester option? That would be my absolute top choice! It is my impression that their China program (SAIS's) is the best in the world, at least as far as profesionally focused programs go.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I've never heard of the five-semester option? Can you explain it a little?

<br /><br /><br />

I've never heard of the five-semester option? Can you explain it a little?

As the name indicates, the program takes five semesters to complete rather than four. You spend 3 semesters in Washington and 2 semesters in Nanjing, and you graduate with an M.A. from SAIS and a one year graduate certificate from the Hopkins-Nanjing Center. The Nanjing campus student population is composed of about 40% Chinese 40% Americans and 10% of people with other nationalities. While at Nanjing, you take almost all your classes in Chinese (with Chinese profesors), which is really unique as you are not taking language classes, but rather classes in the language. Currently, if you are admitted into the Washington campus you can go to the Nanjing campus without completing another application, providing you have the required Chinese proficiency level. The minimum proficiency required for the certificate (i.e. spending a year in Nanjing) is the HSK 5 or so many points in the CAL test. The Nanjing campus also has its own M.A. program, the language requirement for that one is a tad higher: HSK 6 or a few more point in the CAL. I meet the HSK requirements, but know nothing about the CAL.

I applied to both campus separately, for an M.A. at both. The master's program in Nanjing is very new (the first class entered in 2006), and you basically take the same classes as the certificate students, plus a three course sequence that will prepare you to write a thesis. The thesis must be written in Chinese (with Chinese students writing theirs in English) and that's what you mostly occupy yourself with during the second year. People that only get into (or only applied to) Nanjing's M.A., cannot take classes in Washington. They do, however, get an M.A. degree from both Nanjing University in China and from SAIS in The States, have access to the career services in Washington, and are considered SAIS alumni. More info at: http://nanjing.jhu.edu/index.html

Hope you find the description to be brief, yet thorough.

Edited by ashtangi

Energy, resources and environment.. do you guys mind sharing your profiles?

Mine is:

Cdn business undergrad, distinction

750 GMAT (Q50, V41)

2 Yrs niche consulting firm

High Ugrad GPA, not-so-great GMAT, good LORs, and put lots of time and effort into writing my SOP and Analytical Essay. I have no full-time work experience, but I have great internships, in different countries, under my belt, and I am also fluent in 3 languages and decent at another one. BTW you rocked the GMAT!

Edited by ashtangi

<br />Energy, resources and environment.. do you guys mind sharing your profiles?<br /><br />Mine is: <br /><br />Cdn business undergrad, distinction<br />750 GMAT (Q50, V41) <br />2 Yrs niche consulting firm<br />
<br /><br /><br />

3.64 GPA

690 V / 700 Q / 4.5 AW

2 years working at a law firm (unrelated to IR)

Summer abroad in China (language program)

My Chinese is unfortunately pretty mediocre, although I am taking classes right now and it will hopefully be a lot better by the time school starts

High Ugrad GPA, not-so-great GMAT, good LORs, and put lots of time and effort into writing my SOP and Analytical Essay. I have no full-time work experience, but I have great internships, in different countries, under my belt, and I am also fluent in 3 languages and decent at another one. BTW you rocked the GMAT!

Thanks, sounds like you've got a pretty strong profile. I've got an academic exchange under my belt, but I certainly can't say that I know 4 languages (I speak only English).

China Studies here.

Have you had the chance to visit SAIS? Or have you talked to a professor, a current student, or an alumni of the China Studies program? If so, I would love to hear your impressions of the program.

I've had talked to a current student (non China Studies), seen Mike Lampton (Director of China Sudies) speak through C-Span and You Tube, read his latest book "The Three Faces of Chinese Power: Might, Money, and Minds", read on forums about the quality of the program, talked to my cousin's wife that went to HKS, but felt that SAIS is superior etc. What is a little frustrating is that I still haven't been able to talk to someone that is a current/past China Studies concentrator. I've thought of contacting the school, but I guess at this point it wouldn't make much sense unless I'm admitted.

Edit: Are you considering spending some time in Nanjing?

Edited by ashtangi

Have you had the chance to visit SAIS? Or have you talked to a professor, a current student, or an alumni of the China Studies program? If so, I would love to hear your impressions of the program.

I've had talked to a current student (non China Studies), seen Mike Lampton (Director of China Sudies) speak through C-Span and You Tube, read his latest book "The Three Faces of Chinese Power: Might, Money, and Minds", read on forums about the quality of the program, talked to my cousin's wife that went to HKS, but felt that SAIS is superior etc. What is a little frustrating is that I still haven't been able to talk to someone that is a current/past China Studies concentrator. I've thought of contacting the school, but I guess at this point it wouldn't make much sense unless I'm admitted.

Edit: Are you considering spending some time in Nanjing?

I feel like I have a pretty good handle on SAIS. When I worked in DC, my office was right down the road from SAIS. I have several good friends who went there, know a couple people who are there know, and know a number of alumni. I also took a language course there over the summer.

I think that their China Studies program is good, especially if you have interest in the private sector. SAIS grads are big here in Beijing. The China Studies program is a priority at SAIS and has good faculty. Lampton is a good speaker in person in my opinion, and I've heard that he gets very involved with China Studies students. There are supposed to be good opportunities to carry out research. SAIS attracts great speakers due to quality and location.

As for Nanjing, I don't personally see myself spending a year there unless I were fully funded. I've been in Beijing for a year now. We'll see. I've heard mixed reviews about the program, but if you do both DC and Nanjing, I think that would cut down on a lot of the downsides. If anyone wants to discuss in more depth, feel free to PM me.

Someone just posted a thread claiming to have been accepted into SAIS already. The poster also said that he would be able to go there for free; he also didn't specify why going to SAIS would be free.

Has anyone gotten their decision?

Edit: I found this in the results page:

"Full tuition fellowship. Focus in relations with Russia. Thesis on censorship in Russia, 1 year study abroad, interned with Moscow times, recognized as Dean's Distinguished Graduate at my ivy league school, various scholarships. Committee said I barely beat out a similar but less qualified applicant."

Edited by ashtangi