Operations Research V.S. Statistics

sapling

I am a senior undergraduate majored in math, and have been admitted into PhD program in Chicago (Statistics) and Columbia(Operations Research). But I find it difficult to decide which is more suitable for me. So I am seeking your advice. Thank you!

1.Statistics V.S. Operations Research(OR)?

As a student majored in math, I did not have much research experience in both Statistics and OR. It seems that the opportunities in statistics are greater than they are in operations research. Statistics has a strong role to play in nearly every field of inquiry in the natural and social sciences , whereas operations research applications mostly arise in engineering and business. But on the other hand, there have been too many people in the area of statistics, while the OR is more dynamic and young disipline, which has more opportunity, isn't it?

2. Columbia V.S. Chicago

The location of Columbia is fantastic, and IEOR has much interaction with finacial or industrial companies. But the MS program of IEOR at Chicago seems notorious for its overloaded size(Well, I applied for the PhD program). Chicago, on the other, seems to have a better reputation in terms of academics. My carrer plan is to become a faculty member in top university or a researcher in academic institution. Is Chicago bette than Columbia?

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Edited by sapling

what are your career, academic, research goals? are they more in line with stats or OR?

which program suits your acad/research goals best?

which program will provide you better job prospects (that are in line with your career goals)? - columbia has a great name, and you would most likely get a faculty job lined up for you once you graduate...but do you see yourself teaching OR or doing research in it?

which location works best for you? living situation kinda thing....

personally, I would go with Columbia/OR...then again, that might be because I applied there :) - didnt get in thou :(

what are your career, academic, research goals? are they more in line with stats or OR?

which program suits your acad/research goals best?

which program will provide you better job prospects (that are in line with your career goals)? - columbia has a great name, and you would most likely get a faculty job lined up for you once you graduate...but do you see yourself teaching OR or doing research in it?

which location works best for you? living situation kinda thing....

personally, I would go with Columbia/OR...then again, that might be because I applied there smile.gif - didnt get in thou sad.gif

Thank you very much! When I asked myself these thought-provoking questions, I found the choice to be easier. Thank you very much!

You are really an excellent applicant, and very kind-hearted. I know you are still waiting, so are many of my friends. It is a tough experience. Good luck to you on your application result.