Princeton WWS vs. Columbia SIPA

I'm deciding between Princeton WWS and Columbia SIPA (MPA). I'm planning to study domestic policy or international development and go into the non-profit or public sector after graduating. Putting money aside (it is definitely a factor but I want to think about the merits of each school outside of that), what are the pros and cons? Is it a clear choice?

I'm deciding between Princeton WWS and Columbia SIPA (MPA). I'm planning to study domestic policy or international development and go into the non-profit or public sector after graduating. Putting money aside (it is definitely a factor but I want to think about the merits of each school outside of that), what are the pros and cons? Is it a clear choice?

I did not apply to either school (due to lack of work experience), but I have a friend that spent a semester at SIPA. My friend thoroughly enjoyed her time there and still meets with the friends she made there (people studying there for the entire 2 years). She felt the quality of the student body was in general very high, and she was in awe when she heard some of her classmates backgrounds. This means that while people might split hairs as to exactly how many "really talented" people there actually are at SIPA, we can safely assume that there are enough such students. She also did tell me about a few of the "negatives" as she perceived them. They are as follow:

• The teachers are incredibly busy and are in general not terribly responsive to students. One of the implications of this is that her writing did not improve much. In the institution where she took the remaining year and a half classes were very small and teachers really pushed them (and taught them) how to write impeccably and compellingly.
  • Some classes are LARGE, which made her feel as if she wasn't being able to participate enough and get more from the experience.
  • She said that some of the big name professors were not very effective teachers, and that after asking some of her classmates the majority of the people did not quite understand the material being taught.

I realize this is just one persons experience and that similar situation might arise at almost any school if a set of variables come together, but this is as much as I can contribute. Feel free to send me a PM. I might be able to help you connect to a current student or recent graduate, if you are interested in that.

Edited by ashtangi

Congrats on having two great ones in the bag. Columbia may have a small edge with ID, but givin up Woody Woo? You have a full ticket there right? Go WWS, i doubt you'll be looking back 10 years from now and saying, "boy i wish i dropped that 100K on SIPA" Go to admit weekend and if you feel even somewhat comfotable, take it. I didn't apply to WWS, but it looks like a great program and that much better when you're not paying!

In terms of course choices, I think you would be better off at SIPA, as SIPA's sheer size warrants a lot of classes. Over the past few years, WWS' selection of Domestic focused courses has been shrinking. In fact, this past year the dean cut a popular domestic program, which sparked a negative reaction from a lot of students. That said, there are domestic classes, but you will have to fight to get in them as they usually fill up quickly and latecomers end up on the waiting list.

Though in terms of cost, you can't go wrong with WWS, as SIPA and Columbia in general is really stingy when it comes to financial aid.