OSU vs UMD

Choice 1 - OSU

Pros: Program is excellent and well known. Potential advisor is up-and-coming, and my master's work would be part of a group trying to set up a Long Term Ecological Research station in Cleveland (amazing!). PI and I also definitely get along. Department has many outreach and extension opportunities (I really plan on making my work relevant to the public). My first two years would be paid by fellowships (so no TAing until later and after I'm established) and total $24,500 both years; later years will be similar amounts, and funding is provided for 5 years. I loved the department when I visited Wooster and clicked with most everyone there. Also, Columbus is an awesome city, and is where I would be the first 2 years.

Cons: While close to family, I would like to experience life outside of Ohio at some point. Also, department is split between Columbus and Wooster, so I'm not sure how tight knit the entire group is, though I think they are within their own towns. My PI is great, but is fairly new and I think only has 1 student currently.

Choice 2 - University of Maryland

Pros: Program is also excellent and well known. Potential advisor is established in her field and has an excellent track record of successful students; we also really clicked when we met. Department has many outreach opportunities, and has great connections with USDA and EPA. Funding is provided for 5 years and I've received an additional fellowship on top of the regular stipend: $27,700 to 28,700 total, depending on the year. The department has some amazing people and the community is very tight knit. The students were great and friendly.

Cons: I might TA my first year, which could take some precious time away from planning my work because I would be doing a straight PhD track. College Park itself is a dump and for some reason crazy expensive. So I'd be getting more money, but the cost of living is much, much more expensive than Ohio.

I'm being heavily recruited by both schools (which is awesome!), and am finding it really hard to choose. To throw into the mix, my boyfriend is also deciding between both schools, but has yet to hear about funding. Both will give him 4-5 year funding, but he is holding out for a first year fellowship so he doesn't have to TA immediately (history TAing is very time consuming). OSU has a better reputation in his field, but UMD has a few superstar faculty he could work with. He wants to stay close to home in the best of all worlds, but if we went to UMD he would at least be living with me the whole time (barring any unforeseen circumstances). OSU would require us to live apart after 2 years; not the end of the world, but still.

This has been the only thing on my mind! I honestly don't think I can make a wrong decision, but I would like some outside insight. :D

Edited by ScreamingHairyArmadillo

I think OSU, solely based on what you said about each school. It seems to be the one you are leaning toward, and you just sound more enthusiastic about it!

With that said, I do realize that it's always easier from the outside - I'm agonizing over my own decision.

Good luck!

Choice 1 - OSU

Pros: Program is excellent and well known. Potential advisor is up-and-coming, and my master's work would be part of a group trying to set up a Long Term Ecological Research station in Cleveland (amazing!). PI and I also definitely get along. Department has many outreach and extension opportunities (I really plan on making my work relevant to the public). My first two years would be paid by fellowships (so no TAing until later and after I'm established) and total $24,500 both years;

I support my wife (who cannot work due to visa restrictions) and myself on my stipend of $18K and we do just fine in Columbus. Your stipend of 24K is amazing for the city and you will live a life of luxury ;) just in case this figures in your decision.

I support my wife (who cannot work due to visa restrictions) and myself on my stipend of $18K and we do just fine in Columbus. Your stipend of 24K is amazing for the city and you will live a life of luxury ;) just in case this figures in your decision.

No kidding! Like I said, I'm from Ohio, so 24k is a lot even in the eyes of my family.

However, I just found out that the living situation would be a little more complicated than I thought. Looks like I'd be in Columbus fall and winter quarters and Wooster spring and summer. There are plenty of apartments available with 6 month leases in Wooster, but ugh. <_< What a pain in the ass!