Full Tuition=Funded Fully Through Student Loans?

NervousNellie

One of the schools to which I have applied has a reputation for great funding including stipends. From reading on these boards, however, it seems their typical offer this year has been just full tuition.

As background, my financial need is tremendous. I am the sole income earner for a family of four, and I have a low middle-class income. My FASFA had something like an $800 expected family contribution amount. I will not be able to work (at least not for pay anywhere near what I make now) if I go to school, and this information was on the school-based financial aid application I submitted.

Anyway, so I got my award letter and it says I am eligible for full tuition funding ($20,200 per year). However, the catch is that when the amount is broken down, it is in the form of two loans around $8000 each (one subsidized, and one unsubsidized) and one $4000 work-study amount. There is no stipend.

I am going into a field in which I don't think it is wise to accumulate much in terms of loans. The positions are far enough and few enough between, and I will not make *all* that much more than I make currently. I think approximately $16,000 in student loans per year for three years is ridiculous, and that won't even begin to cover things like school fees and also living costs. I would need approximately $2,600 per month in loans to support my family (that's $26,000 for one academic year alone).

I applied in a masters (not doctorate level) program. It is not an academic focus, but a professional focus.

I had no idea that when a school had a reputation for funding, it would mean funding through loans. However, I understand these offers are all starting offers based on formulas, and wonder how I should approach the school to see if some of these loans could be shifted to other types of aid. There must be other types besides loans, right? This school is a part of Y a le (excuse the spaces, for googling reasons). It's not as if it is an especially small, underfunded school.

I have no idea where to start. Specific advice would be very much appreciated.