Thank you gesture for Professor who wrote rec?

I just got into my first choice, and I figure now is as good a time as any to get gifts for the 3 professors who wrote my letters of recommendation. I'll obviously include a short note, but what about the gift? I could go for the generic and banal gift basket. What do you all think?

-Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I just got into my first choice, and I figure now is as good a time as any to get gifts for the 3 professors who wrote my letters of recommendation. I'll obviously include a short note, but what about the gift? I could go for the generic and banal gift basket. What do you all think?

-Matt

I wrote personal notes with the good news and thank yous on some really great stationary (perfect for my discipline!) and included gift cards somewhat tailored to their interests -- thought it could be useful to them. I delivered these in-person, semi-defeating the purpose because then I explained the good news and said thank you before they opened the cards. :P

Gifts are just a nice gesture -- your time and personally-expressed thanks are more important signs of gratefulness. One of my professors didn't even want to accept a gift. (The other two were happy to receive them!)

A hand written thank you with the update that you've gotten into a top school for sure. The gift..eeeh, don't go overboard, maybe $10 per gift is fine if you really want to give them something. But the profs I hear from are just happy to receive the thanks for their time. Writing dozens of recs is not easy!

I'd say that a hand-written thank you card is more than sufficient for your LOR writers. I echo the statement above that if you do decide to do a gift, make it one that's under $10, perhaps a gift card to a local coffee shop you know they like? There is no reason to go overboard, but definitely do something to show your appreciation!

• 3 weeks later...

When I applied to PhD programs a few years back I got one of my LOR writers a case of his favorite imported beer, another a premium, top shelf bottle of imported Cognac, and the third I got a gift card to Starbucks. All of them went wayyy out of their way to help me get research money in undergrad and fellowships for grad school, so I figured they deserved a little extra something. They were all delighted. I'd say be personal. Two of my Math professors that wrote me LORs were beer judges and pretty heavy boozers. The third loved coffee so put it all together and you have a solution.

I only sent thank you notes. Hearing that others sent small gifts makes me nervous! I will probably ask two of these people for fellowship LOR's in the future, have I made a mistake? (plus I have great respect for them and would never want to appear ungrateful!) Are gifts standard, will I be looked at as not expressing enough gratitude?

I only sent thank you notes. Hearing that others sent small gifts makes me nervous! I will probably ask two of these people for fellowship LOR's in the future, have I made a mistake? (plus I have great respect for them and would never want to appear ungrateful!) Are gifts standard, will I be looked at as not expressing enough gratitude?

No, you're okay! Thank you notes are great, and some professors don't even want gifts.

I broke the $10 rule...gift cards usually come in $15 and $25 denominations. I hope that wasn't too awkward.

-Matt

I made a donation in my professor's name to an organization associated with her field. Most nonprofits will send a letter to the person being honored.

• 1 month later...

I think it's a great thing to "remember" your letter writers. In the past, I have always written a thank-you card with a sincere and brief message about how they have helped me and my plans.

I would also give them a giftcard about 20-25$ to a general place - like a Starbucks /coffee card or Barnes and Noble / bookstore. I love the idea of fruit baskets, but what if the professor has food allergies? What if you want to give them a food/dessert gift and they are Kosher, etc?

It is much easier to give a giftcard - esp, Barnes and Noble b/c most profs like to read and if they want, they can also buy movies or music there.

It is much easier to give a giftcard - esp, Barnes and Noble b/c most profs like to read and if they want, they can also buy movies or music there.

That's so exactly what I did. Starbucks and B&N.

I did a bottle of cheap wine that I knew the prof loved ($10) and a really good box of chocolate ($15). She wrote multiple letters for me over a couple of years, so I thought something a little extra was required.